resume critique?

TechieComedianTechieComedian Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
im kind of new to the resume game, despite my age. ive never needed to have a decent resume with some of my past jobs, but let me get to my point. i requesting someone to give me some suggestions on what i should change and things i can improve.

http://docdroid.net/2msb

Comments

• TechieComedianTechieComedian Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dont be shy guys,i could use the constructive critisism
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    People have seemed timid as of late with resume posts. IDK why. Anyway could you post up a formatted version of this in word or something? I ask because it we really cannot tell if the browser has caused formatting changes or not. A word doc would allow easier review.

Off the bat, I would suggest breaking Education and Certification into their own sections. I would then list my certifications individually instead of the A+ Net+ listing you have. You worked hard for those certs, give them their own line. While the EMS information is valuable, I would argue that it is irrelevant for a technical resume and remove it.

A+ and Net+ should list CompTIA as the provider, not the location you were trained at or took the exam.

I would change your date format to reflect MONTH YYYY instead of the number format you have --> May 2013. In addition, I would have position and date range on one line and company name on another.
  • hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    What kind of position are you wanting to use this for? You could possibly keep the EMT part if you could tie in into the job requirements or change the Volunteer Experience into Activities and drop it there. Did you get any kind of certification?
    ok, i edited my original post to include a link to the doc version of my resume.

um im not really going for a particular position, i just want my resume to look as best as possible before i post it to the job sites like monster, careerbuilder, etc.

ive already gotten calls from how the resume looked before, but theres always room for improvement.

Off the bat, I would suggest breaking Education and Certification into their own sections. I would then list my certifications individually instead of the A+ Net+ listing you have. You worked hard for those certs, give them their own line. While the EMS information is valuable, I would argue that it is irrelevant for a technical resume and remove it.

well right now i have the technical school as work experience because i have never worked IT before and i wanted to beef up my resume a little as i did fix a good amount of pcs at school. so should i list my technical schools in both work experience and education? and i guess i could get rid of the ems experience, unless im applying to like a hospital or something like that.
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I would say you could list it at both ASSUMING you actually held a job. If the work done was strictly based on curriculum, I don't think it could be considered a job. But there is nothing wrong with listing that you worked for the place you also received your education at.
    ok i edited my resume and i think it looks quite good. the only thing i think can use a fresh coat is the technical skills sections, id like to be more specific with technologies used but dont want to flood the paper with garble.

http://www.techexams.net/attachments/forums/jobs-degrees/3977d1371570179-resume-critique-2-0-shaficsresumereedit.doc