Options

USB to Serial/Console Cable???

M-Ant78M-Ant78 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Genuine Newbie here so please help me make sense of what exact cable is needed to go from my laptop into my C2950 console port to start familiarizing myself w/Cisco's IOS. The guy @ BestBuy didn't have a clue what I was talking about (same boat as me), and at Frye's all he said is what I needed they didn't have. Is it a cable with a serial port on one end & RJ 45 on the other? I am confused as to what exactly is plugged into my laptop...USB or serial, because this laptop does not have a serial port, but it has a USB. This is probably a "Every-Blue-Moon" question on this forum, but everyone has to start somewhere. I welcome all links to purchase the exact cord online. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    If you laptop/pc has a serial port, then you don't need a usb-to-serial adapter. If you only have USB, then you need a USB on one end and Serial on another, you'll then be able to connect the cisco console cable (db9 serial on one and end rj45 connector on another).

I got mine from amazon
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Thanks Jean! I appreciate it.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ya, youre going to need a USB to Serial adapter. After you install that, then you can attach a Console Cable to the Serial end of the adapter and the rj-45 end to the console port of your switch. Then you can open use a program like Putty to open a session with your switch and start plugging in commands!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    ya, youre going to need a USB to Serial adapter. After you install that, then you can attach a Console Cable to the Serial end of the adapter and the rj-45 end to the console port of your switch. Then you can open use a program like Putty to open a session with your switch and start plugging in commands!

So what you are saying is that I will need a console cable & a USB to srial adapter to connect into the switch if my laptop only has a USB?
  • Options
    Yes, you are going to need a console cable regardless of what interface you have on your computer. You are only getting that adapter because you do not have a serial port.
    For instance, I chose to buy a 5 dollar PCI card for my desktop that came with 2 Serial ports (to not use usb space, and its cheaper than a usb hub).
    I plug my console cable from the switch to the serial port.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Yes, you are going to need a console cable regardless of what interface you have on your computer. You are only getting that adapter because you do not have a serial port.
    For instance, I chose to buy a 5 dollar PCI card for my desktop that came with 2 Serial ports (to not use usb space, and its cheaper than a usb hub).
    I plug my console cable from the switch to the serial port.

I understand now, thank you so much Cisco
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    I prefer this Bluetooth serial adapter Anthonypanda.com Limited - Wireless Console Cable Adapter It works great for a laptop and andriod devices but will not work on ipad or iphones.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bundiman wrote: »
    I prefer this Bluetooth serial adapter Anthonypanda.com Limited - Wireless Console Cable Adapter It works great for a laptop and andriod devices but will not work on ipad or iphones.

Not to hijack the thread...but that plugs into console port and actually works!? Much more expensive than the $2.99 ebay adapter I use, but that looks awesome, never seen it.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you any option other than Best Buy (CompUSA/Tiger Direct, Local Computer Store, Internet) go there. Best Buy is fine for some things (Laptops, Tablets, Phones, Hard Drives, etc...), but with rob you blind for things like cables and media (DVD+R, CD-R, etc...) When I bought my first LCD Monitor, I went to Best Buy looking for a cable. They wanted $50. I walked out and went to the local computer shop, where I bought one for $5 (90% off Best Buy's price). I remember someone saying that was how BB makes their money. They sell a TV for little or no profit (or a computer, monitor, whatever) and then charge $100 for the HDMI Cable.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    volumevolume Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a typical console cable for a Cisco device:

Amazon.com: Cisco Console Cable RJ45-to-DB9: Computers & Accessories

If you have an actual serial port in your computer, that's best, but if not, you need a USB to Serial (DB9) adapter. Many will work, this is the one I use:

Amazon.com: Tripp Lite USB to Serial DB9M Adapter (U209-000-R): Electronics

If you're setting up a lab or something and want to use several serial ports at once, you could use a USB-to-multi-serial box, something like this;

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 8 Port USB to DB9 RS232 Serial Adapter Hub with Industrial DIN Rail and Wall Mountable, Black ICUSB2328I: Computers & Accessories
  • Options
    if you have a desktop, this is the best bet. I personally love that I got this. Saves usb space.

[h=1]DUAL TWO 2 RS232 9 PIN PORTS SERIAL PCI EXPANSION CARD
    [/h]
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Rollover cable from Cisco console port to serial port: New Cisco Console Rollover Flat Cable RJ45 DB9 1 PC 6ft | eBay (cheapest on E-bay)

If you don't have a serial port, get a USB to serial converter: Green Connection FTDI Chip USB 2 0 to Serial 9 Pin DB 9 RS 232 Adapter Cable | eBay or Amazon.com: TRENDnet USB to RS-232 Serial Converter TU-S9 (White): Electronics (These will work - some others won't)
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]