Options

Running RIPv1 with subnets

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196

I did the hand-on lab as demonstrated in the picture. Everything works fine. For the fun of it, I changed the subnet mask for the serial link between R1 and R2 from /24 to /30. Then R1 lost the route to 172.30.3.0. R2 lost the route to 172.30.1.0. Why does /24 work, but /30 does not?

Comments

• Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RIP does not support VLSM Only supports classfull Networks..... /8 /16 /24

I believe they have retired RIP(REST in Peace).... From the The new CCEnt.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
    RIP does not support VLSM Only supports classfull Networks..... /8 /16 /24

I believe they have retired RIP(REST in Peace).... From the The new CCEnt.

In the diagram, the 192.168.4.8 network between R2 and R3 has /30. And it works there. Why not /30 between R1 and R2?

If I'm correct, the current old CCNA exam is available till September. I don't want to take the new CCEnt or the new CCNA exams. Good? Bad?
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want keep your certification you will have to eventually won't you?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bbarrick wrote: »
    If you want keep your certification you will have to eventually won't you?

Not necessarily. Passing any CCNA Specialization (Voice, Security, or Wireless) or any higher test (CCNP, CCIE) will renew your CCNA if I remember correctly. You could pass the current CCNA, then go on and pass CCNA: Security, renewing your CCNA: RS in the process. Then, you could pass CCNA: Voice, renewing both your CCNA: RS and CCNA: Security. Later, you could decide to pursue your CCNP, with each passed test renewing your CCENT and all CCNA level certs. Each CCNP Specialization will renew all your CCNPs, CCNAs, and your CCENT. Then, if you decided to get your CCIE, I believe simply passing the written test will renew everything (All CCNPs, All CCNAs, and CCENT). Then, passing the lab would renew them again as best I can tell.

[EDIT] This is basically my plan: Get my CCENT, then CCNA: RS under the old test. Then, I will study for my CCNA: Security and CCNA: Voice (not sure which order yet). When I pass each, it will renew all my previous certs. Then, I will likely pursue a CCNP (not sure which specialization(s) yet), which would renew all my previous certs.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]