Options

What do you need to know about RAID?

CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
My knowledge on RAID is a bit weak so I've been brushing up, but there are alot of flavours.

Which are the most common in business and school environments?
2014 goals: ICND2[]

Comments

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Typicall you'll see 1, 5, 6, DP or 4 (if you work with NetApp), 10 and 50. There are others but I've never used them in a business environment.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Raid 5 and 10 I would say are the most used. Raid 1 is also used but not as much. Raid 0 is really only used on gaming machines since there is no fault tolerance.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One thing I would tell you about raid is this, most newbie server admins use raid 5 heavily, they will do this because it yields the highest usable space, while this is probably fine for a big majority of workloads, the performance differences between raid-5 and raid-10 are considerable, so if your designing for performance doing some additional research is worthwhile.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    cerebro wrote: »
    which are the most common in business and school environments?
    raid 10, 1, 5
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    Chard26Chard26 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    One thing I would tell you about raid is this, most newbie server admins use raid 5 heavily, they will do this because it yields the highest usable space, while this is probably fine for a big majority of workloads, the performance differences between raid-5 and raid-10 are considerable, so if your designing for performance doing some additional research is worthwhile.

This difference is really most evident when writing data to the array. I am a big fan of 5 for big data stores that have either (relatively) static content or small office files that are not updated hundreds of times a day.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Raid 1 is also used but not as much.

I disagree. Sometimes, raid 1 > 5. I just got rid of a few of r5 setups and converted them to r1 with hot spares.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    This difference is really most evident when writing data to the array. I am a big fan of 5 for big data stores that have either (relatively) static content or small office files that are not updated hundreds of times a day.

Correct, the write penalty for raid 5 is (4) and the write penalty for raid 10 is (2), I didn't want to go into a detailed discussion of IOPS, generally speaking if your building a SQL or database server, try to put the databases on raid-10.