Options

Can't access host based shared folder in winpe using virtualbox for 70-680

fabiogfabiog Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello
I've been struggling to access shared folders on my vista host in winpe from within virtual box.
I want perform offline migration labbing and even though i could us a flash drive I want to try shared folder too.
If I boot my virtual machine into windows 7 I can access the folder after installing the Virtual box guest additions which is simple.
In winpe it also asks to install guest additions when I click on Devices ,shared folders(which it cannot install since it's winpe).
I have changed my network card settings from NAT to bridged as suggested on other forums but still no luck.
When running ipconfig it lists a network adapter and when running the command net use I get "there are no entries in the list".
Has anyone else on here been able to set this up correctly? and if so how.
Any help welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I hit the same problem early in my 70-680 studies too. Let's see if this helps ... Chapter*4.*Guest Additions . Alternatively, you could create a virtual disk (diskpart.exe) and attach/detach to your vm or host, as needed. (Or did I misunderstand your disk storage question?)

I didn't understand your networking question. Of all my early test lab troubles, i remember networking as being the most troublesome. It should not have been because it usually only involves a simple configuration setting. But it was at that stage in my evolution. (Still only a monkey, though.)

Over time, I found Hyper-V to be a superior test lab environment. (VMWare ESXi would be even better still, but there is a lot more lab creation information available with Server 2008 R2 using Hyper-V. I'm enrolled in a VMWare vSphere course that starts in another couple weeks.)

If you still find youself in a bind and not getting better info from other readers, send me a private message. (Have not used it yet, but appears to be: Menu bar's Private Messages > Send Message). I'll help you get your lab set up, although it has been a while since last using Virtual Box)

I symphasize with your test lab problems. It is hard enough trying to learn things -- having to deal with lab problems interferes with that.
  • Options
    Thanks for your great reply I will look at the manual and Hiper-V.
    Basically all I want to do is use USMT tool in winpe to do an offline migrate to a network share, that's why I want to network virtualbox running winpe and my Vista host PC.
  • Options
    I have got it working at last after more research.
    Virtual box must be set to the Host-only adapter in the network settings.
    In winpe I use net use letter:\\server\sharename * /user:username as stated here:
    Net use
    Now I can continue with my studies :)