Options

DHCP - REQUESTING an ip? AND DHCP vs NAT-PAT?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody,
Is configuring a switch or router to request an IP covered in ICND1 or ICND2? I could have sworn it was covered in one of them, but I cant find anything anywhere. Just configing DHCP Pool.

Also, what is the difference between DHCP Pools and NAT-PAT? I mean i know nat-pat reduces the need public IP's and DHCP assigns IP's, but they seem similiar.

Thanks so much

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Configuring and verifying dhcp is listed in the exam topics so it's possible. I imagine they are focusing more on making a device into a dhcp server. Making an interface a dhcp client isn't particularly involved though. Just play around with your context sensitive help on an interface and I think you can figure it out. It's good to know how to do anyway since it's a quick and easy way to verify your dhcp config.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    FLEOHBFLEOHB Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am not sure but I think DHCP is for local addresses and NAT is for external addresses

I would think PAT is not similar because it is a port based protocol

If I am wrong, someone please correct me
  • Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NAT/PAT ain't a protocol.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Very basic information - DHCP is for Dynamically assigning IP addresses, NAT / PAT is translating one IP address to another.

I'm a laptop needing to get on the network so I get my IP from DHCP
    Changing 192.168.1.100 to 78.96.34.82 = NAT
    Changing all of your client's IP Addresses in your network (192.168.1.100-110) to 78.96.34.82 = PAT (associates a port to each translation).
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    for the CCNA you have to know how to configure DHCP and NAt/PAT from the SDM, not from the command line FYI
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.