Options

CBT Nuggets ICND1 finished...now what

craigc84craigc84 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,
So I just completed the new CBT Nuggets. I started watching the old version then realized Cisco updated to the new exams and I didnt back myself to pass both exams before they retired the current two. Now im finished I feel a bit lost

Im getting all the concepts pretty well, even the ACLs and subnetting, I love "Being the router" and "SAVING THE HOSTS!" but the config side is not sticking with some things so I know its time to practice practice practice.
I have made a few purchases on ebay and slowly switches, routers and cables are arriving and should have 2 2600xm routers and 2 2950 switches all set up by the end of the week. I just need some ideas for some labs.
Does anyone have or know of a good workbook to work through?
Also now im done with cbt nuggets, how long do you think i need before taking the exam?
I have just started to read the Odom book too, Iam thinking I will take the exam 2 weeks after I finish the book. And in those 2 weeks Lab and practice subnetting heaps? Good plan?

Cheers

Craig

Comments

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can still take the old tests (640-822 and 640-816) until September. After that you will only be able to take the new tests (100-101 and 200-101). Just make sure to sign up for the correct (older) test.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You have to read the textbook along with plenty of labs. You aren't going to pass on videos alone. The videos should be used as a supplement. They do not cover all the little details that you can get tested on. You'll be in for a rough time if you only used the vids.

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. How much experience do you have?
    2. Are you using the new 100-101 book?
    3. Are you Australian?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danscourses on youtube are good for labbing ideas. Get a study guide, CBT nuggests are good for a casual watch but no where near enough info to pass the exams in my opinion.
  • Options
    Hey guys, I have no illusions that watching CBT Nuggets is going to get me through the exam. Im reading the Odom 100-101 now. I really want some lab ideas. Ill check out those youtube videos thanks wallpaper_01. Im planning to take the exam late June at this stage

Hey Cisco Inferno,
    How much experience do I have? Well with Cisco routers and switches very little. My Networking knowledge is OK though. Ive been working level 2 tech support for 3 years with a couple of different ISPs here in Australia. So all things ADSL and home networking Im good.

I have some MS experience from when I was studying for my MCSE which I didnt get around to finishing as an opportunity to travel came up and I was off travelling for 2-3 year and out of the tech game for 3 years or so.

I Passed my Network+ and A+ a fair while ago...2007 I think but I have retained most of my knowledge with that.

As above Im reading the 100-101 Odom book, and lastly am I Australian? I am not but I have lived here for 5 years. I am originally from the UK.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    its just because you said heaps. My best friend lived there for a year and cant stop saying heaps :)

anyhow I realize that the Wendell Odom book is the only one out there now. I'm about to pick it up. Random question, is it printed in color?

You should be good with your experience. Im sure it shouldnt be a hard task to follow along. There are also free ccna lab guides online as well.
    I think the one off the top of my head is Free CCNA Workbook
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Lol. Heaps is definitely an aussie thing. One of many words/sayings that I have picked up since I've been here.
  • Options
    Oh and I have the ebook so I can read it easily on the way to and from work and also when I'm waiting 10 minutes for the old customers to swap a telephone cable on their dsl modem, that is in colour if that helps