Options

Am I chasing the wind? Infosec telecommute

f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm working on my CISSP and am taking it in a couple weeks. During this time I've also been doing some soul-searching and realized that I am ready to make a lateral move into 100% infosec. I'm done with being a technical engineer and my passion has shifted to information security, policies, procedures and management.

Where I live there aren't too many positions available (they do come along but not often). So once I obtain my CISSP I'm wondering my credentials and experience might make a remote/telecommute infosec/netsec job possible. The thing is, i don't see a ton of jobs out there that advertise that telecommuting is an option. I'm wondering if I should just count on being patient and looking locally or if it seems even feasible to get a telecommute/remote infosec/netsec job? Any opinions out there on this, what have my fellow TE'ers experienced?

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I work for a large bank and work from home, doing Infosec (identity and access management). I recommend first getting on with a large firm, then trying to get one of the telecommute positions they might have. From what I hear large financial firms offer a lot of telecommute positions including Infosec.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Diggs3dDiggs3d Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I've also notice that Info-Sec jobs are pretty limited to people trying to get into the field rather telecommute or onsite. All I can recommend is study hard for the CISSP Exam and continue looking for posted Info-Sec jobs. I'm sure sooner or later we all will find that ideal position....... Good Luck !!!!
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Where do you live? Also, just curious, why are you leaning towards more telecommuting type positions?
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I saw this website: Telecommuting Jobs | Work From Home | Virtual Jobs - Virtual Vocations. They might have a gig or two there. I searched and saw some TELECOMMUTE gigs on there with zero travel. Also, monster and careerbuilder have telecommute opportunities posted from time to time. If you really want to telecommute, make sure to update your profile to say so on LinkedIn, as that's been my greatest resource for job leads the past couple years.

I can understand why the OP wants to telecommute. If I telecommuted, it would save 40 minutes to an hour of round-trip driving everyday. I would reduce my transportation costs by 80-85%. I would spend more time with my wife. I would be able to sleep in later and be more well-rested and be more productive at work.

If there is no material reason to be in the office, why wouldn't you want to telecommute?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses. I live in Boise, ID. The main reason why I want to telecommute is because I don't want to move and there aren't a lot of infosec jobs in Boise. Thanks for the link instant000 I'll take a look into those. I noticed dice.com has an option to filter for telecommute jobs so I'm going to keep an eye out there.