Options

Did my formal interview today... oh boy

eLseLs Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello

I recently posted I passed the phone interview the other day and today was my formal interview. I mixed up the title of the job over here in the thread it was not for a junior systems engineer it was for a NOC tech position.

I had a long interview and met with the interviewer from the phone and went into more depth on my past jobs and basically ask questions on what to do scenarios. Interviewer was very pleased with me from what I see.

Next up was the supervisor and he was pretty cool and laid back. He just quickly confirm my experience on exchange and active directory. Now he ask quick questions on networking commands. I answered okay for the most part but one question I completely went blank and stood there and said it just slipped uhmm.... but a bit digging i got it. Overall it was okay I asked plenty of questions and it was good and told me good luck.

Next up was a surprise and asked if I can stay longer to meet with the CIO whom is actually around. I got greeted and was another interview. Definitely felt nervous here I guess talking to the CIO threw my nerves but kept my cool. He drilled me on goals which felt okay. The minute I said hopefully be done with network+ this month and move on to CCNA and get it done in the next 3 months or so probably got me. He asked me about the osi model for fun and i got it down except i blanked out and got the 5th and 6th mixed up but explained the purpose of it. This was a different experience and my confidence levels were dropping compared to talking to the first interviewer.

Took a test on critical thinking which is not made to be finished or weighed heavily. The interviewer said I did really good with a surprise expression didnt know what to think of it.

Everything was done filled out the background check and gave in my application and references. Hopefully hear by this week or so.

What you guys think? Should I worry about how I may have not been super confident on 1 of the tech questions given by the CIO and supervisor?
Bachelor of Science: Computer Information Systems
2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Sounds like you did pretty good. I wouldn't worry about getting one or two questions wrong, after all nobody's perfect. I think you have nothing to worry about, you did your part. Now the ball is in their court. Good luck and I hope you get it which I think you will. I have done worse than you on interviews and still landed the job
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Surely they wouldn't go through the hassle of background checks if you'd be a "no" :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    DDWingateDDWingate Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dw buddy, he's a CIO. He knows any applicant is gonna freak over an impromptu meeting with the big-man-upstairs. CIOs and CEOs love doing this kinda stuff, they don't expect you to be Mr. Suave about it (kinda like that scene with Steve Jobs at the interview in Pirates of Silicon Valley, but maybe not as harsh)
    www.historyofpleasantview.blogspot.com
    Doug's Declassified History of Pleasantview - The Second Greatest Story Ever Told!
    Subscribe Today!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You did as well as any of us would have done on a first time impromptu meeting with the CIO.

They don't do background checks unless they already decided to hire you. So... congrats!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    All I have to say is "Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away" :)
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    newt.chapmannewt.chapman Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All I have to say is "Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away" :)

I've always been a proponent of "Please Do Not Teach Stupid People Acrynoms". :D lol
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like you had a pretty solid interview. Congrats on the journey!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I've always been a proponent of "Please Do Not Teach Stupid People Acrynoms". :D lol

I learned the sausage pizza mnemonic back when I did Network Essentials for my NT 4 MCSE, but this may be my new favorite.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    Thanks and yes they called today and got the job offer just waiting around for the paperwork and start date.

CIO did mention it was something pizza but he forgot it was so long ago for him.
    2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the job.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Right on, congrats!
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Sweet, congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome on the dark side :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrads on the job. I feel you will do well in the new position. I really like how you handle the interview. CIO do like to do that and make people feel uncomfortable. I dealt with enough of them and after time you learn they are not perfect :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    aarond23aarond23 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Its funny I just had an interview (waiting for the paperwork also) anyway I've been doing interviews for the last 3 months and YES know the OSI layers it seems to be one of those things that just isnt general knowledge if you arent actively studying it. It impresses interviewers.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
  • Options
    thanks everyone hopefully I hear about my start date tomorrow. keep you informed on how it goes
  • Options
    I got the confirmation and letter to sign. I'm in and with good benefits. Got my foot in the door in a big real IT company so I'm going to work my butt off and move on up.

I'm happy and I remember how lost I was feeling like ain't never going to get in a real networking environment or real big IT work. Keep working on that resume and cert up while waiting and your time will come.

Will be starting next week and in the mean time finish up the network+ and work on my CCNA (most likely have to do the new version sigh lol).

Thank you for the help on any questions I asked here.