Options

Engineers, time to start learning SDN

JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
After reading this, i was a bit excited and worried at the same time thinking days of network engineers are numbered but thinking about it, technologies change and we have to adapt or sink.

The changing role of the network admin, as told by networking vendors
"I feel bad for the old-school networking guys. They're going to be in trouble, and I don't like it," said one product developer for another of the networking vendors over dinner on the first night of the show. While it seemed that other vendors at the show might share his concerns, conversations with them revealed that for the so-called "old-school networking guy," all is not lost.

As quoted from the article
[h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Getting the management plane off the hardware will change all of our world(s) from sysadmins to the die hard cisco guys. In many way is it will be easier to manage, but since it is essentially being moved to a Linux or Windows server (which are less reliable than switch firmwares) which do other things, it may get much more complex to troubleshoot.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Evolve as the technologies evolve.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The timeline for this stuff is so far out. I realize SDN is here, but people are STILL running Cisco 2500 routers in enterprise environments, so it's not like the world is going to go SDN in a one or two year time span..more like 15, 20 years.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    QHalo wrote: »
    Evolve as the technologies evolve.

Exactly! I'll be engineering what ever they throw at me. What ever gets the job done. Anyone that is stuck in their ways is in the wrong field.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I played with an SDN device today. It ran the same complicated protocols I know well just like a non-SDN device! No need to worry about us "old guys". We have more experience rapidly adapting to change than them young'uns. ;)
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not really the realized dream, but one step closer to it is Juniper's partnership with Puppet Labs.

Puppet for Junos OS Overview - Technical Documentation - Support - Juniper Networks

You can manage many systems with puppet , even Macs , soon you can include switches to the list.

Some NX-OS versions on Cisco's Nexus 3000 switches have a built in Python interpreter.
    Cisco Nexus 3000 Series NX-OS Python API Reference Guide, Release 5.0(3)U3(2)  [Cisco Nexus 3000 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

Clearly not SMB type market, however, SDN is closing in on us.
  • Options
    Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You know SDN is coming so the sooner you can get your hands on it, the smoother the transition will be. It goes without saying that if you work with technology, don't wait on someone tell you that you need to learn it.
    The answer..Personal Development Plannning.