Options

Help Desk To NOC

100k100k Member Posts: 196
Looking for a bit of advice. I currently work in a Help Desk position for the last 3 months. Its not bad but its more account management. I am getting paid pretty high for Help Desk, $19/hr.

I have 1yr total IT experience between 2 jobs and an internship. No certs as yet but by the end of the year I will have my A+, S+, 70-680 and CCNA. Will I be ok in looking for a NOC or Network Tech job? I have an AAS in Internet Service Tech and currently enrolled at WGU. I live in Florida and there a few posting floating around. I am not even sure what the pay would be for NOC and I hope its atleast 15/hr so I can survive. I searched and read a few post but nothing really answered my question.

Pretty much I am looking for guidance to get out of Help Desk and into networking.

Comments

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I think you should wait until you get your CCNA, it will get you noticed a lot quicker
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    Its pretty hard to get 4 certs in 7 months. Especially the CCNA, which is 2 exams.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I dont know how are NOCs over there but I work in one and I'd say with help desk knowledge and net+/CCENT you should be able to get into a NOC.
    Pay wise, it depends on the Location.
    meh
  • Options
    jdeckjdeck Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    -hype wrote: »
    Its pretty hard to get 4 certs in 7 months. Especially the CCNA, which is 2 exams.

I think you need more help desk experience first. I agree, that seems really ambitious and easier said than done. I would stay at your current title, try to move up in a help desk position and work on certs, they will definitely get you noticed quicker.
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    you don't lose anything but looking. It's not like you are leaving your job to look for new job. Keep working at where you are and keep studying. At the same time you can start applying, even if you don't get the job and can get an interview, you get something out of interview. But yes, once you have certs, it makes it a bit easier.
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    NOC is just network helpdesk, you can start in most of them with no experience honestly. NOCs just arent very common in some areas.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    -hype wrote: »

Tough but very doable if you have nothing else to do!
    Throwing in the CCNA is damn near impossible. I've gone through all 4 semesters of netacad and I feel like I'm not ready to tackle on the CCNA yet. Subnetting is holding me back.