CCNA Virtual Lab, Titanium Edition 3.0

newgame99newgame99 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I read the thread "How to study for the CCENT/CCNA. [Tutorial]", and he suggested the Todd Lammle. CCBA Study Guide, which I have heard is very good.

I was wondering if it worth buying the CCNA KIT, which includes CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 7th Edition,CCNA Virtual Lab, Titanium Edition 3.0 and CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Review Guide.

I was thinking the Virtual Lab is worth the extra $$$. What do you think.

I also have a copy of Boston NetSim 8.0 and I also heard good things about CCNA 640-802 Network Simulator. What do you think? Will this help me for the CCNA exam?

Comments

• Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you think you can pass both ICND1 and ICND2 before the end of September? If not, purchase the Wendell Odom 100-101 cert guide that is out now. I believe Lammle's new book comes out in august, so it may be beneficial to get odom's.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know about the Titanium Edition (I haven't tried it), but the Platinum Edition Simulator which comes with the Deluxe Edition of Lammle's Book is almost worthless IMHO. Unfortunately, most simulators I've come across are junk compared to Packet Tracer (which has its shortcomings, but is still very useful).

Your Boson Simulator is probably a million times better (haven't tried it, but looking at the user guide, it looks pretty good) than the CCNA Virtual Lab. I use Packet Tracer and GNS3, which are both great tools. GNS3 is available to anyone [and you have to supply your own IOS images], but won't do Switches (Still great for Routing Protocols, WANs, and such). Packet Tracer is technically only available to Cisco Network Academy Students and/or Alumni. But, from what I'm told you could take one course and gain lifetime access (I took 5 Cisco classes while working on my AS Degree) to Cisco's NetAcademy website and Packet Tracer.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • aashanaashan Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Your Boson Simulator is probably a million times better (haven't tried it, but looking at the user guide, it looks pretty good) than the CCNA Virtual Lab. I use Packet Tracer and GNS3, which are both great tools. GNS3 is available to anyone [and you have to supply your own IOS images], but won't do Switches (Still great for Routing Protocols, WANs, and such).

I am currently studying for the CCNA exam. I am also using Packet Tracer and GNS3. I don't think that saying GNS3 does not do Switches is accurate. (at least in my experience). I have done VLANs, STP, VTP, Etherchannel, etc. on it without any problems. Maybe there are some advance topics that I have not come across which GNS3 is unable to do but at CCNA level I think it does the job.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    aashan wrote: »
    I am currently studying for the CCNA exam. I am also using Packet Tracer and GNS3. I don't think that saying GNS3 does not do Switches is accurate. (at least in my experience). I have done VLANs, STP, VTP, Etherchannel, etc. on it without any problems. Maybe there are some advance topics that I have not come across which GNS3 is unable to do but at CCNA level I think it does the job.

Technically, it can be done using an Etherswitch module. But, when I tried, so many of the commands were different for the Etherswitch vs. a Real Catalyst Switch that I just bought real Switches. Sure, it can be done, but if you are learning the wrong commands (for the CCNA) what good is it doing you?
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • aashanaashan Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah that is right but its more of what each person finds relevant to themselves. for me it was more of learning the technology and finding out how it works.

Don't get me wrong, nothing beats having real hardware but if you cannot afford it (find it or whatever) GNS3 can help you out even with switching
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i used that lab with the Sybex book for my tests, I found it very helpful
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark