Study Materials for CompTIA Security+ SY0-301

GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all, This is my first post on this forum - there are a lot of great resources here!! I wish I had found this sooner! I obtained my A+ and Network+ over the last two years - both times I took classes to prepare for the test, but looking back I realized they were only really preparing me for the exam; I didn't feel I was actually learning the material for use in a career. So now I want to start preparing for the Security+ SY0-301 exam (which I plan to take at the end of the summer/early fall) and I am considering just getting my own study materials together to learn on my own and at own pace. A friend recommended CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 Authorized Exam Cram (3rd Edition). I was looking at some other books online and CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide by Darril Gibson seems to be very highly recommended. In addition, found the Professor Messer series through another forum and I plan to use that to supplement whatever reading resource I use. So I was just hoping to get people's recommendations about study materials - books, online videos, even classes. What worked for you and what would you recommend? I'd really appreciate any advice or recommendations you could offer. Thank you very much!
"Tahiti is not in Europe. I'm going to be sick."

Comments

• biker_dudebiker_dude Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would also recommend the Exam Cram book.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Use Darril Gibson's book. Its the best literally, coming from us and people on amazon. His writing is easy to use. He is even an active user here and can answer any problem you may have.

Professor Messer is by far best videos on the topic, followed by Trainsignal's SY0-301 vids which aren't free.

You should be able to digest the material with your N+ knowledge. Some bits will be a review for you.

One thing that helps me alot, is to take notes. I literally have notes from the entire book. I'm in my final review for my exam next sunday.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • valondonvalondon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest using a combination of all the material you listed. It's all excellent, and each serves its purpose in getting you certified. Maybe use Darril Gibson's book to learn the material with Professor Messer to supplement that. Then proceed to move on to the exam cram book as a review before the test.
    A+, MTA: Networking, Net+, MTA: Security, MTA: OS Fundamentals, Security+
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    @GlaDOS. Welcome to the forums. Congratulations on completing your A+ and Network+ certs.

My recommendations might be biased so I won't recommend any Security+ study resources. However, I will stress that many people are able to self-study and pass many certification exams. You can take your time with your studies and ensure you fully understand the topics. If something isn't clear from one source, it usually becomes clear when you look at it from another source to get a different perspective.

@Cisco Inferno. Good luck with the exam on Sunday. I'll have limited email between May 17th and May 27th so I might not congratulate you after you post your success story about passing it, but based on your posts here, I'm sure you will pass.
  • DavidHoffmanJrDavidHoffmanJr Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Without question, use Gibson's Security+ book! I bought several books and tried for 6 months without success until I bought Gibson's book, and studied for 3 to 4hrs each day, then passed after a month! Gibson's book was written very very well, with the 'learner' in mind. Making notoes (for review) and the index cards I made really helped too.

Good Luck!
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all of the feedback! I really appreciate everyone's input! I think I'll start with Darril Gibson's book and supplement that with the Professor Messer series and then depending on how ready I feel, I'll add in the Exam Cram, as well.

@Cisco Inferno - good luck on your exam! You seem to have a really solid approach to studying so I'm sure you're going to do great!

@Darril Gibson - I appreciate the welcome and I look forward to reading your book!
  • Kthomas1602Kthomas1602 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is great information in order for me to prepare for the security plus exam. I'm going to purchase the study material today. I recently completed my graduate degree in IT. Now I want to focus on my certification in order to eventually land a security job. Wish me luck with preparing for the exam!!!
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums Kthomas1602. Good luck on your preparation.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is great information in order for me to prepare for the security plus exam. I'm going to purchase the study material today. I recently completed my graduate degree in IT. Now I want to focus on my certification in order to eventually land a security job. Wish me luck with preparing for the exam!!!

Best of luck Kthomas1602!
  • redefinedredefined Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril I was curious if you have a new book coming out? I noticed on the Security+ website it says "New Security+ SY0-401 exam to launch in May, 2014" Will you release a new version? I'm wanting to start the study process ASAP but if new material will be out shortly I'll wait a month.

Thanks!
  • rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Darril, I also would like to know if a new book will be out. If not then i am going to go for the SY0-301 before it ends at the end of the year in order to use your book for the exam.
  • rodgemanrodgeman Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just decided to get this cert. I am planning on getting this book:
    [h=1]CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide [Paperback] [/h]
    I was thinking of supplementing it with this book:
    [h=1]CompTIA Security+ Total Test Prep: A Comprehensive Approach to the CompTIA Security+ Certification [Paperback][/h]
    Any opinions on the second book?

Thanks.