Options

Having trouble with Ethernet standards

RReapRReap Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I'm having trouble remembering all all the distance and speed limitations for the seemingly hundreds of ethernet standards. All the 10Base, 100base, 1000base, 10Gbase-XX, etc... So my question is, does anyone have any good methods of remembering these things? Or is it worth it worry about it, or could I pass with test without remembering all of these?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm aware that a lot of these are fiber. But in my book they're just all under the "Ethernet Standard" column.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    RReap wrote: »
    So I'm having trouble remembering all all the distance and speed limitations for the seemingly hundreds of ethernet standards. All the 10Base, 100base, 1000base, 10Gbase-XX, etc... So my question is, does anyone have any good methods of remembering these things?
    The numbers at the beginning of the standard tell you how fast it is, so there's no need to "remember" the speed limitations of the various Ethernet standards. Just look at the numbers! As far as distance, typically, copper/twinax is short-range, MMF (orange/aqua, SX) is medium-range, and SMF (yellow, LX) is long-range.

EDIT: I'm aware that a lot of these are fiber. But in my book they're just all under the "Ethernet Standard" column.

Any why not? Ethernet very often runs over fiber-optic cables.
  • Options
    The numbers at the beginning of the standard tell you how fast it is, so there's no need to "remember" the speed limitations of the various Ethernet standards. Just look at the numbers! As far as distance, typically, copper/twinax is short-range, MMF (orange/aqua, SX) is medium-range, and SMF (yellow, LX) is long-range.
    Any why not? Ethernet very often runs over fiber-optic cables.
    Well, I guess the speeds don't really bother me, but more so the distance limitations. I have a hard time remembering the exact numbers. Because there's 100m, 185m, 2km, 5km, 40 km, etc... I just didn't know if anyone had a method they used to help them remember these exact numbers.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I don't have a single method, but there are some things that can be grouped together. In the 10GBASE-xx standards, here are some letters that are common:
    • W = wide area network (WAN)
    • R = Range or reach
    • S = Short (typically 300-400 meters)
    • L = Long (typically 10 km)
    • E = Extended range (Up to 30 or 40 km)
    Short uses multimode fiber (MMF).
    Long and extended use single mode fiber (SMF).

Here are some examples of how they might be paired:
    • SR = Short range (MMF up to 400 meters)
    • LR = Long range (SMF up to 10 km)
    • ER = Extended range (SMF up to 40 km)
    • SW short range WAN (MMF up to 300 meters)
    • LW Long range WAN (SMF up to 10 km)
    • EW Extended range WAN (SMF up to 40 km)
    Some designations identify the cable type:
    • T = Twisted pair (typically max of 100 meters)
    • F = Fiber (as in 100Base-FX, various distances but all longer than 100 meters from twisted pair)
    • C = Typically copper with very short range (about 10-15 m)
    This isn't a complete list, but it does help identify many of the items you're likely to be tested on for the N10-005 exam.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Darril wrote: »
    I don't have a single method, but there are some things that can be grouped together. In the 10GBASE-xx standards, here are some letters that are common:
    • W = wide area network (WAN)
    • R = Range or reach
    • S = Short (typically 300-400 meters)
    • L = Long (typically 10 km)
    • E = Extended range (Up to 30 or 40 km)
    Short uses multimode fiber (MMF).
    Long and extended use single mode fiber (SMF).

Here are some examples of how they might be paired:
    • SR = Short range (MMF up to 400 meters)
    • LR = Long range (SMF up to 10 km)
    • ER = Extended range (SMF up to 40 km)
    • SW short range WAN (MMF up to 300 meters)
    • LW Long range WAN (SMF up to 10 km)
    • EW Extended range WAN (SMF up to 40 km)
    Some designations identify the cable type:
    • T = Twisted pair (typically max of 100 meters)
    • F = Fiber (as in 100Base-FX, various distances but all longer than 100 meters from twisted pair)
    • C = Typically copper with very short range (about 10-15 m)
    This isn't a complete list, but it does help identify many of the items you're likely to be tested on for the N10-005 exam.

Hope this helps.

That helps tremendously Thank you!