trying to understand CISM work experience a little better....

apkeshapkesh Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I will be sitting for the CISM examp in September, but have been working as an IT Security manager for the past 5 to 6 years. Does anyone know if I can use my past work experience towards the CISM certfication? The cism site makes it sound like the experience has to come after the date of applicatoin or passing of the exam.

"The work experience must be gained within the
10-year period preceding the application date for certification or within 5
years from the date of originally passing the exam."

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Anyone can take the CISM (or CISA) exam without first having the requisite work experience necessary for full certification. In this case, the candidate must acquire the necessary work experience within five years after passing the exam. Any work experience acquired more than ten years prior to applying to take the exam will not be considered for full certification.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Also to clarify, you have to have 3 years of information security experience hits at least 1 of the job task statements, in at least 3 of the 4 domains. So look at the job practice areas link on the CISM page and look at the job task statements for each domain. This was what I was told when I emailed ISACA to clarify the experience requirements.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework