Options

Cisa June 2013

cisagirlcisagirl Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just found this site and registered. I'm scheduled for the CISA June exam in Toronto. I took and failed exam several years ago so here's to a fresh start! I'm using the CRM (need to work on this much more by keeping awake) and the online questions DB. I wanted to take an online course but I think its a bit late for that now. I've been studying since March but had to stop for a couple of weeks and started again yesterday. I'm half thinking of delaying it till Sept or Dec., but then there's never going to be a 'good' time lol.......

Comments

• Options
    doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm right there with you! I'm taking it in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I started studying right around the same time as you also.

So for I've been using:
    CISA Review Manual 2013
    CISA Practice Question Database v13 (CD-ROM)
    CISA All in One - Peter Gregory
    Information Technology Control and Audit

And supplemental resources
    RiskIT Framework
    COBIT Documents Family - I joined ISACA for the discounted materials and access to most of the COBIT docs
    ValIT
    ITAF Framework
    ISACA Standards, Guidelines and Procedures

I have to say that the supplemental resources have filled in a ton of information for me - and for some of the questions on the Q&A DB. ValIT, RiskIT and the standards,guidelines and particularly the procedures have helped quite a bit.

You're right, there is never a good time. Worst case, you redouble your effort and come back and take it in December (I assume you are allowed to take it that soon...but I could be wrong). That's my plan anyway.

All I can say is good luck!
  • Options
    zaCarlzaCarl Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, also just recently bumped into this forum looking for motivation for the upcoming June '13 Exam.

Am writing mine in EL, South Africa.

Have a lot of tech experience but no auditing icon_sad.gif

I have kinda read through the book, and done the a lot of Practice Questions - thing that catches me out all the time is the way they want you to think - as many have said, try and think from "their" (ISACA's) perspective.

As OP said: The thing with the CRM is keeping awake! :)

Good luck to all who have to go through this exam ...
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck everyone. With ISACA exams, taking the exam is half the challenge, the other half is having the patience to wait for the results.
  • Options
    newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    Goodluck guys!
  • Options
    mikeysgmikeysg Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dover wrote: »
    I'm right there with you! I'm taking it in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I started studying right around the same time as you also.

So for I've been using:
    CISA Review Manual 2013

RiskIT Framework
    COBIT Documents Family - I joined ISACA for the discounted materials and access to most of the COBIT docs
    ValIT
    ITAF Framework

I have to say that the supplemental resources have filled in a ton of information for me - and for some of the questions on the Q&A DB. ValIT, RiskIT and the standards,guidelines and particularly the procedures have helped quite a bit.

You're right, there is never a good time. Worst case, you redouble your effort and come back and take it in December (I assume you are allowed to take it that soon...but I could be wrong). That's my plan anyway.

I'm using the same materials. Now it's the 2nd revision time. CISA Review Manual 2013 is "super" dry and I personally prefer Peter H Gregory's book. All the best to us!
  • Options
    ciphercodesciphercodes Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck to everyone taking this exam, if you read and understand the CRM and practice questions you should be good.
  • Options
    Good luck to everyone taking this exam, if you read and understand the CRM and practice questions you should be good.

To do the last minute adjustment, I just purchased the CISA Practice Questions Database v13 download from ISACA. Not sure I'm wasting my money though; I have about 75% on average on the practice questions.
  • Options
    doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mikeysg,

I don't think it is a waste at all. I've been using it for the last month or so and the repetition you get along with the almost word-for-word explanations from the CRM have been very helpful. It makes the famously 'dry' CRM material a little more palatable since it is served up in small domain-focused 'chunks.'

Good luck (again) to everyone Saturday!
  • Options
    Mikeysg,

I don't think it is a waste at all. I've been using it for the last month or so and the repetition you get along with the almost word-for-word explanations from the CRM have been very helpful. It makes the famously 'dry' CRM material a little more palatable since it is served up in small domain-focused 'chunks.'

Good luck (again) to everyone Saturday!

Thanks for your positive feedback, buddy. Yeah I'm now consistently scoring 90% now. And I tried the Peter H Gregory's MCQs at the end of the chapter, all within 80% range. After clearing CISSP, my mind is still in the Security focus, so it is now time to adjust to the "auditor" mindset -- and I get a lot of answers correct by re-adjusting that way.

All the best for everyone who's taking the CISA/CISM/CRISC and CGEIT exams this coming Saturday! :)
  • Options
    I'm doing the last minute review and found that BCP and DRP is the most frustrating/confusing topic of the CISA. It provides bogus, unrealistic views and different answers for same situation. I hope to endure this in tomorrow's exam.

Pray to God I won't have to do this again. :)
  • Options
    cisagirlcisagirl Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good luck to everyone! I guess we'll all be back here anxiously waiting for the 8 weeks to be done.............\I wish you all the best
  • Options
    cisagirl wrote: »
    good luck to everyone! I guess we'll all be back here anxiously waiting for the 8 weeks to be done.............\I wish you all the best

Yay! I'm done with this exam in Singapore (+8 GMT). I did my own marking of the exam (very strictly) and maybe got about 130 questions right. Took my time and left the exam centre 30 min earlier. I hope I did enough to pass haha. Will post the review when I get home.
  • Options
    Bloodnite12Bloodnite12 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I finished taking my CISA exam today... had to drive 1 1/2 hrs to take it, took it, then drove back. Not sure how well I did.
  • Options
    John82John82 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hello Friends , I am preparing for my CISA exam for this sept / dec. I would like to know about the best study material available and practice questions . Experienced and senior members plz help

Thanks
  • Options

So for I've been using:
    CISA Review Manual 2013

RiskIT Framework
    ValIT
    ITAF Framework

@John82: You should scroll up and see Dover's post. The study materials from ISACA are excellent - and if you have a bit of money, you can also download the CISA Q&A 2013 for around (USD 185 I believe).
  • Options
    sgftyksgftyk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikeysg wrote: »
    To do the last minute adjustment, I just purchased the CISA Practice Questions Database v13 download from ISACA. Not sure I'm wasting my money though; I have about 75% on average on the practice questions.

mikeysg,

got any lobang to sell of your ISACA materials since you pass the exam? me taking in sept/dec 2013 :)