Options

Expected NOC Tech 1 pay rate in Cleveland, OH

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
What should a typical NOC tech get payed working for a small IT services firm in the downtown area? I was thinking $12-15/hr but I keep getting from Payscale and other salary guides that 49k is about the average.

Comments

• Options
    TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    It depends on the area. When I was working in a NOC, I was getting paid 18 something an hour. That was a for a major ISP in the Austin area. I did that for a roughly 6 months, passed my CCNA and then took another job at 25 something an hour.

Point being, NOCs can be a great way to get some experience.
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Location is going to play a huge role, as well as the responsibilities/title of the NOC.

Where I'm at, when I was a NOC - you just needed to know basic CCENT/Net+ material, have troubleshooting skills, and customer communication skills. Our pay range was between like $14-16/hr.

I've seen listings for NOC positions, that were "NOC Engineers" that wanted 5+ years experience and CCNP knowledge that start around $22-26/hr.

I've seen listings for NOC positions for an ISP or VSAT that require CCNA knowledge, VSAT/ISP experience, and 2-3 years experience, starting upwards of $24-30/hr.
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    I am currently working a NOC Tier I position in downtown Cleveland, and my pay is 14 an hour. It is lower than I wanted but when I took the job I had a CCNA and no experience in the networking field, so I had to take what was available. There are small projects but most of the job consist of just WAN issues so its not too stimulating (another department handles issues on the remote sites).

I will continue studying because I need more money (duh!) and I need to find a job that's more challenging than setting up loops and calling the service provider.
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOC Tech I with a wireless carrier in Chicago, starts around $20 bucks an hour. If you have years of tenure you can be making near or above $30 an hour as a NOC Tech II or Tech III, pay ceiling $35 an hour.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973