Options

Too Realistic Concerning CCNA

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
Am I being too realistic by saying to myself, I can make $40k/year after getting my CCNA, knowing the topics on networking and passing an interview for an network/NOC role? I reside in the NYC area and have about 2 years of Desktop Support experience.

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    You can make that much and more w/o it also.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    I'm in california, and around here with a CCNA and very little experience you can make 40-50k. I think the market should be pretty similar in the NYC area... you can also make up to 80k with experience and only a CCNA.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nothing in the world, no certification, no college degree can ever come close to experience. The CCNA will definitely get you in the door with a networking position in nyc, I also live in nyc so I know a CCNA is something that a lot of companies desire. I work with a guy that got his CCENT and is going to graduate with a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science with a concentration in Networking and he stated he definitely received more calls from jobs after putting the CCENT on his resume. He got hired by Bloomberg and may work in the data center there doing networking stuff. I say may because he also got another interview with another company that he may go to. So my point is, certifications will make you more marketable, and once you get in you can work your way up and gain the real world knowledge to back up your certs. You will make much more than 40k with a CCNA, aim high when they ask you how much you are looking for, for example say you want 65k they may give you that, and if not, they will tell you 55k, then you will be making more than expected.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    danny069 wrote: »
    Nothing in the world, no certification, no college degree can ever come close to experience. The CCNA will definitely get you in the door with a networking position in nyc, I also live in nyc so I know a CCNA is something that a lot of companies desire. I work with a guy that got his CCENT and is going to graduate with a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science with a concentration in Networking and he stated he definitely received more calls from jobs after putting the CCENT on his resume. He got hired by Bloomberg and may work in the data center there doing networking stuff. I say may because he also got another interview with another company that he may go to. So my point is, certifications will make you more marketable, and once you get in you can work your way up and gain the real world knowledge to back up your certs. You will make much more than 40k with a CCNA, aim high when they ask you how much you are looking for, for example say you want 65k they may give you that, and if not, they will tell you 55k, then you will be making more than expected.

I also hear that it is quite normally to get a entry-level role paying $30k with an CCNA, is that true?
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Honestly, if you are looking at a 30k job, you don't need CCNA. I am only saying that because you don't want to cut yourself short, you can make that much w/o any certs you just need to get some experience. I (and my friends here in CA) more than that working as service techs for a major pc company 10 years ago with just a+.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I don't think what gives you the money is the CCNA, in particular. Yes, it helps but you can be a CCNP and still not make 50k. I think relevant experience is the most important thing and the certs are there to supplement it. If you have 3-4 years of experience and no CCNA, you will make more than a CCNP with 0-1 years of experience.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Let's hope you are being "too realistic". icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Sure you can get an entry-level role paying $30k with a CCNA, but why would you want to sell yourself short? You sell yourself for $30k while the company keeps the other $30k they owe you to add to their bonus.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I just moved from NYC. You do not want to do Cisco Work at 40k. Its worth more.
    Help desk makes more than 40k up there.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I dream of making 40k a year =_=
    meh
  • Options
    aarond23aarond23 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say it just depends on how much network exposure you have at previous jobs. A dedicated 18 year old could pass CCNA, are they going to get a great job just by having passed that? No, at least in my area CCNA isnt a ticket to any particular salary, it might be something to put you ahead of other candidates. IF you have solid networking experience and didnt previously have CCNA, that is when the big income boost might happen and new opportunities would appear.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would expect $40,000 in a city were the cost of living is low. NYC Metro is just too expensive to be accepting a salary that low.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    Xyro wrote: »
    Let's hope you are being "too realistic". icon_lol.gif

I now see what you mean.
    I would expect $40,000 in a city were the cost of living is low. NYC Metro is just too expensive to be accepting a salary that low.

What salary I should expect living in NYC?
  • Options
    id shoot around 55k, maybe 60k. Make sure you get your CCNA first!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's just nuts. $60K really? in NYC?

My Salary is equiv to $155K in NYC if I were to move there and I'm only a CCNA+5yrs of network experience+5yrs of Desktop/Systems Support.. Someone is getting low balled for realzies...
  • Options

My Salary is equiv to $155K in NYC if I were to move there and I'm only a CCNA+5yrs of network experience+5yrs of Desktop/Systems Support.. Someone is getting low balled for realzies...
    where do you work and how much do you make?
    also realize this is a guy who is going to get his CCNA and only has 2 years of nonrelated experience.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□

Okay lets not get carried away here, no one in NYC is going to pay you $155k with 5 years of network and 5 years of systems support...
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in NYC and I have a CCNA, Bachelor Degree in Computer Engineering , and 1 yr desktop support experience. It has been tough finding a job for me (with any pay) but that could be my fault. Just sharing my experience. Btw if someone has any opinions on this that would really be helpful. Btw I don't mean to hijack thread. I just thought my situation seemed relevant to the thread.
  • Options

$155K? Is that a typo?
  • Options
    dpjackal89 wrote: »
    I am in NYC and I have a CCNA, Bachelor Degree in Computer Engineering , and 1 yr desktop support experience. It has been tough finding a job for me (with any pay) but that could be my fault. Just sharing my experience. Btw if someone has any opinions on this that would really be helpful. Btw I don't mean to hijack thread. I just thought my situation seemed relevant to the thread.

The only thing I can think about would be a bad resume? I know of people at the very least getting contacted without half of that stuff in NYC
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    There are many places in the U.S. where the cost of living is less than 30% of NYC's, which would make a 50k salary comparable to 155k in NYC.
  • Options
    That's the thing though, it's only *comparable* but the reality is the company won't be automatically paying you close to that just because living here cost 30% more
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't see why you can't make between 50-60k. I had only 1 year of desktop experience before I became a network engineer with a salary in the low 50s. (I had CCNA)
  • Options
    Flo0z, was that only with the CCNA? I see you have other qualifications.
  • Options
    dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been looking for jobs and what has been difficult for me is that I can't really find that many network engineer job postings. Do you know of any good websites besides dice, career builder , indeed?
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    $155K? Is that a typo?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • Options
    The cost of living in Manhattan (us living in the outer boroughs such as queens call it "the city") is way too high, but if you are looking for a good paying job, then you will find it in Manhattan. Your best bet is to live in queens and commute into the city, that way you can at least afford rent. I wouldn't settle for anything less than 55k in nyc unless you have to. Don't just rely on a CCNA either, keep focusing on your next certification, search jobs and see what they are looking for.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was making 40k (I live in southern California, so ymmv) before I had my CCNA. It's not unrealistic at all.