Options

Knowledge gap between Linux+ (LPIC-1) and RHCSA?

Hey all,

Just curious on the knowledge gap between the two. I intend to take Linux+ after getting my CCNA and then move onto RHCSA.

If people could give a time frame or percentage of difference between the two, that'd be great.

Example: Network+ is about 75% of the CCENT. Linux+ is about __% of RHCSA

Thanks

SG
On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
Scheduled for: Unscheduled
Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs

Comments

• Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    good question~ hm... i'm interested in knowing too =p (that is, if it can be quantified...)
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    There is always LPIC-2 and 3.
  • Options
    tmrhcetmrhce Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My guess: 20%, since there is no practical component to Linux+. LPIC-2 is closer, but no practical component there either.
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    brownwrap wrote: »
    There is always LPIC-2 and 3.

Yes, but in terms of marketing yourself, Red Hat is more prevalent in America than LPIC.
    tmrhce wrote: »
    My guess: 20%, since there is no practical component to Linux+. LPIC-2 is closer, but no practical component there either.

20% seems a bit extreme. Anyone else confirm this?
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Yes, but in terms of marketing yourself, Red Hat is more prevalent in America than LPIC.

20% seems a bit extreme. Anyone else confirm this?

I'd agree with that, everyone recognizes Redhat, but today I logged into a machine I don't touch. The guy who manages it is on vacation. It is a Cray, running SuSe. Now the rest of what we have is indeed Redhat, don't know why Cray went with Suse, but it is our biggest, baddest, monster.
  • Options
    JoseJimenezJoseJimenez Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey all,

Just curious on the knowledge gap between the two. I intend to take Linux+ after getting my CCNA and then move onto RHCSA.

If people could give a time frame or percentage of difference between the two, that'd be great.

Example: Network+ is about 75% of the CCENT. Linux+ is about __% of RHCSA

Thanks

SG

If you intend to do it properly (without braindumps), LPIC-1 actually covers more material then RHCSA, and in more detail. It also covers Debian-based distros. You would need at least same amount of time to prepare for one of the 2 exams as for RHCSA.
    In terms of marketing yourself and cert recognition ... it's different story.
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    LPIC-1 does cover both distributions but it is not practical. this is where redhat has the advantage
  • Options
    I'd say it is as practical as you want to make it ;). Knowledge is what counts in the end. At least you'll get more familiar with coreutils programs and shell with LPIC-1.
  • Options
    If you intend to do it properly (without braindumps), LPIC-1 actually covers more material then RHCSA, and in more detail. It also covers Debian-based distros. You would need at least same amount of time to prepare for one of the 2 exams as for RHCSA.
    In terms of marketing yourself and cert recognition ... it's different story.

Hmm..Now I'm confused.

Which cert is more difficult? I was under the impression that RHCSA was above the Linux+/LPIC-1 in terms of difficulty.
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I can be pretty objective as I have both LPIC-3 and RHCE and red hat is far harder
  • Options
    I feel like this topic has deviated into 3 separate things. Let's get it back on course

Questions:

1) What is the difference in coverage of material between the Linux+/LPIC-1 and RHCSA? I assume RHCSA covers more

2) Which certification would you guys consider to be more difficult? I assume RHCSA is more difficult

3) Which certification would benefit me most in Australia? I believe RHCSA to be more beneficial

So I'm on a limited time frame and intend to pass Linux+ ( which will grant me LPIC-1 and a few other linux certifications) in 2-3 months after I take my CCNA this saturday. Start my VCP course in August and finish that out before years end and move to Australia.

Would I be able to fit in RHCSA instead of Linux+?
  • Options
    1) no
    2) not comparable
    3) RHCSA, but you should really shoot for RHCE

Let me give 2 examples in objectives (LPIC-2 vs RHCE):
    1) E-mail system
    LPIC-2 -> Sendmail, Postfix, Procmail, Courier, Dovecot
    RHCE -> Postfix

2) DNS
    LPIC-2 -> need to know important statements from /etc/named.conf, DNSSEC, bind-utils
    RHCE -> caching name server (default configuration) ... and not even on test
  • Options
    notquitecertifiablenotquitecertifiable Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    While I've done an RHCE I've only done the first half of the LPI 1 and very much doubt I'll be doing the second half. The exams are completly different. If you're looking for a quick win so you can put Linux on your CV then LPI level 1 is doable without much prior linux experience if you are someone who's good at self-study and has a decent memory. I found the questions for my LPI 101 to be mostly trivia and very basic in scope. I honestly think that with the right study materials you could pass it without logging in to a single shell.

The RHCSA (and RHCE) on the other hand are hands on - you can afford to forget things (which was handy for me ;)) and if you understand how the system works you can still pass the exam with a little logic and investigation - if you have enough comprehension and experience to back your attempt up. The exam is a fair test of that skill level and anyone who's passed it can be assumed to have a certain level of skill on a real machine.

When interviewing candidates I'd give the rhcsa much more importance on a CV than I would an LPI. I'd get the Jang book, work through it and do the RHCSA - I think it's a much more relevant, and impressive cert.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    While I've done an RHCE I've only done the first half of the LPI 1 and very much doubt I'll be doing the second half. The exams are completly different. If you're looking for a quick win so you can put Linux on your CV then LPI level 1 is doable without much prior linux experience if you are someone who's good at self-study and has a decent memory. I found the questions for my LPI 101 to be mostly trivia and very basic in scope. I honestly think that with the right study materials you could pass it without logging in to a single shell.

The RHCSA (and RHCE) on the other hand are hands on - you can afford to forget things (which was handy for me ;)) and if you understand how the system works you can still pass the exam with a little logic and investigation - if you have enough comprehension and experience to back your attempt up. The exam is a fair test of that skill level and anyone who's passed it can be assumed to have a certain level of skill on a real machine.

When interviewing candidates I'd give the rhcsa much more importance on a CV than I would an LPI. I'd get the Jang book, work through it and do the RHCSA - I think it's a much more relevant, and impressive cert.

I agree 100% with everything you stated.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options

This is exactly how I felt about the two prior to making this thread, but I'm strapped for time.

What would the time frame be for the RHCSA if I were to study daily about 1-2 hours?
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is exactly how I felt about the two prior to making this thread, but I'm strapped for time.

What would the time frame be for the RHCSA if I were to study daily about 1-2 hours?
    I'd say that it depends on your prior experience, not necessarily with *nix, but general IT / systems administration experience.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    ... If you're looking for a quick win so you can put Linux on your CV then LPI level 1 is doable without much prior linux experience if you are someone who's good at self-study and has a decent memory. ...
    I honestly think that with the right study materials you could pass it without logging in to a single shell.

Yes, it's probably doable. But, what would be the point of that ... since you need to have practical skills to do the job.
  • Options
    gkca wrote: »
    I'd say that it depends on your prior experience, not necessarily with *nix, but general IT / systems administration experience.

I have 3 years experience in IT/Sysadmin. Very little Unix, but familiar with it.
  • Options
    notquitecertifiablenotquitecertifiable Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have 3 years experience in IT/Sysadmin. Very little Unix, but familiar with it.

Grab the jang book and start reading the RHCSA chapters and you'll very quickly get a feel for how ready you are for it.

I think you'd be better off being halfway through his study guide with the skills you'll need to practise tasks on that path, than you would being all the way through the theory based lpi.
  • Options
    Grab the jang book and start reading the RHCSA chapters and you'll very quickly get a feel for how ready you are for it.

I think you'd be better off being halfway through his study guide with the skills you'll need to practise tasks on that path, than you would being all the way through the theory based lpi.

Yes I was looking at Jang's book. How is the book split between RHCSA and RHCE? What page is the cutoff point?

Aside from Jang's book, what other resources are useful for RHCSA?