Options

Possible Job Opporuntiy Dilemna?

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
Ok so I just got a call from someone offering me a position as a PC Field Maintenance Technician job for Verizon Wireless. She told me it is a 6 month contract with possible extension depending on performance. They are going to submit all of my information and contact me in a few days. My problem is it is only 6 months with no guarantee after that. My current job is secure but it is not in the field i want as I am going to WGU for IT. I currently work in food manufacturing and make 22 dollars an hour. The pay for Verizon would be anywhere from 18-28 DOE. If offered should I take the opportunity and risk being without a job after the 6 months or take it and hope for the best? I do have a mortgage and car payments which make me a little scared to take it if all goes well. What are your guys input?
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you don't have any experience in IT and can get your first IT job at a rate of 18-28 an hour then that sounds great to me. Yes it is a risk doing contract work, but it sounds better then doing helpdesk for 13 dollars and hour.

If you already have experience then you could hold out for a better opportunity imo.
  • Options
    olaHalo wrote: »
    If you don't have any experience in IT and can get your first IT job at a rate of 18-28 an hour then that sounds great to me. Yes it is a risk doing contract work, but it sounds better then doing helpdesk for 13 dollars and hour.

If you already have experience then you could hold out for a better opportunity imo.

I do have some experience as I work for my brother n law who owns a income tax business. Its not a whole lot that i do since they only have 5 computers in the office, but i just basically set up their software, computers, and network them all together and troubleshoot any issues they have. Been with him for 3 years now. He doesn't have anything fancy or top of the line as other companies do but it is some experience.
  • Options
    geccogecco Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would take the position. I am very familiar with the company and I think it would be a positive experience....also, they offer excellent free training through VZ Learn. 6 months is a very solid amount of experience for a new person, and there's no reason why you can't look and study while you're working there.
    Remember, that the job you're in now, albeit steady, is not going to provide the vehicle or boost you need to put you in the industry.

I would not hesitate...don't let the temporary nature of the position deter you.
  • Options
    gecco wrote: »
    I would take the position. I am very familiar with the company and I think it would be a positive experience....also, they offer excellent free training through VZ Learn. 6 months is a very solid amount of experience for a new person, and there's no reason why you can't look and study while you're working there.
    Remember, that the job you're in now, albeit steady, is not going to provide the vehicle or boost you need to put you in the industry.

I would not hesitate...don't let the temporary nature of the position deter you.

OK yeah that's whagbim hoping for that they'll offer to keep me around afterwards. They said I would be using my personal car and driving around to sites. I couldn't find a whole lot of information besides what they gave me and emailed me. I just hope its an overall positive experience and it'll all go well after the 6 months. I'll lose all my health benefits from my current employer so hopefully I don't need it from now until the end of the contract.