Options

anyone know if this would be classed as a degree

irishdaririshdar Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
i've just passsed my 680 and 685 ....640 is next .......then ccna......would this be classed as some sort of degree for computer science

Comments

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    That's almost Ph.D!
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Negative, Computer Science is mainly math and programming. If you're looking to get a degree, check out WGU'g programs. You can get credit towards a BS in IT for your certs.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Qord wrote: »
    Negative,
    Yup! A strong negative. You'd have to do quite a bit more work for a degree.
    Computer Science is mainly math and programming.
    Math, science, communication skills, software development, web development, computer architecture, networking, operating systems.. basically, a broad foundation in how technology works mostly from a software perspective, as opposed to an EE which covers the hardware perspective. This is why I see as almost as much demand for the two in networking as in software development.
    If you're looking to get a degree, check out WGU'g programs. You can get credit towards a BS in IT for your certs.
    Certainly a program many here have done well with and worth a serious look. :)
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yep, not a degree, only a degree is a degree. Even WGU requires you to take your basic college classes like english, arts, humanities, etc, they aren't just straight certs.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    We all wish we could.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    irishdar wrote: »
    i've just passsed my 680 and 685 ....640 is next .......then ccna......would this be classed as some sort of degree for computer science

Well, one needs 120 semester credit hours to get a degree (B.S. in C.S.). If a university were to consider those four certs as their semester credit hours, it would only be between 12-16 semester credit hours (based on either 3-4 hours per certs). A long way to go.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    If it was like that, we would all walk around with a couple of degrees.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.