Options

Help me choose my career in IT Security field

projectcodecprojectcodec Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Im a fresher,i have interest towards IT Security/cyber security.But im zero in networking.

Should i start with A+,Network+,Sec +,CEH, SSCP, CISSP...

Im planning to do all these certifications and gain knowledge too..

Am i in the right path or should i learn any thing extra other than this....

Guide me from your experience..

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Like the next person would say - you have to give us more information. There are a lot of security roles and they are all different - network security, penetration tester, security analyst, malware analyst, security auditor, and all of the variations of these plus many more. Search the web and see which one interests you the most. In order to choose a good certification path you need to have some idea where you are going.

If you have no IT experience A/N/S+ are a great start. The CISSP is something that will benefit every infosec pro but that comes later down the road. The CEH cert will teach you to use some tools that come in handy in penetration testing but I'm not going to get into CEH because I don't really like it. It is worth having in order to strengthen your resume because that it does, no argument there.

P.S: Sorry but I'm going to start saying this every time - think over for yourself why you want to get into security. Nowadays everyone you meet on the street wants to do it but few know why, and few know what it actually is.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Security + isn't a bad starting point.
  • Options
    projectcodecprojectcodec Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your reply,

If i can start with A+/N+/S+ can i able to finish it in self study buying books.

Then later on do CCNA and CEH course in any certified study centre.

Guide me on this, i m starting from basics,pls be patient on me..
  • Options
    IMO Security + then roll into the CCNA. The CCNA is a pretty tough certification, however Security + is not so that may give you some confidence and momentum to roll into the CCNA. Besides if you never get around to the CCNA the security + is a nice one to have if you are looking to get into that realm of IT.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You need to land an IT job first before you think of InfoSec. Maybe in a few years you'll realize it isnt for you and you may find networks more in interesting. You gain more knowledge by working on actual/real systems than by working on certifications, so concentrate on finding a job first.

You must realize that no sane person would let you admin their firewalls without you having experience to back you up. Would you let the retail shop girl fly your airliner?

As for certifications, the Security+ is a good start. Again, on its own it holds little value. Some experience to go along with the S+ will help you inch closer to that InfoSec job you aspire for.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    +1 with Ess. I like the idea of nailing out Security + but make sure to look for a job in tandum. It won't solve your problems but I could help you get past HR and give you some high level security knowledge.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Essendon wrote: »
    You need to land an IT job first before you think of InfoSec.

You must realize that no sane person would let you admin their firewalls without you having experience to back you up. Would you let the retail shop girl fly your airliner?

I don't know how I forgot to mention that as well. Experience is a must, almost no one starts from infosec unless they have tremendous experience from somewhere else. I think to be a good security expert, you need to see the big picture - in network security, for example, you need to know how a network works in order to know how to exploit it and than protect it. To do pen testing on some system, you need to know how it operates, what makes it tick. This knowledge you can't get through books only, you have to get it through hands-on, on the job experience.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.