No certification with Microsoft.....should I go for 2012 or 2008

zen4xzen4x Posts: 15Member ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys. I am trying to take a break from work after I have been doing many silly jobs for ages. Since I am looking to step into IT at the age of 31 I wanted an advice from you. I have planned to build a hybrid Cv working on Cisco and Microsoft to have a better chance to get a job as first line support. My target is to achieve a MCSE before I apply for a job to have a decent Cv and to show my initiative and interest for the subject. Since I do not have experience in this role I thought that was a wise idea to start from 2008 cert path and move on to make sure I would have covered some OS that are still on the market. Do you think is just to expensive to take all 2008 / windows 7 and the 2012 / windows 8 certs ? I look forward to hearing from you. Regards.

Comments

  • armandsssarmandsss Posts: 28Member ■□□□□□□□□□
  • jonny72jonny72 Posts: 68Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Start with Server 2012. You will find it a lot easier as the exams are far better structured than for Server 2008. Though I'd for for Win 7 over Win 8.

    Don't bother going for an MCSE as that is overkill for an entry level job, it won't mean much to you and it won't be easy without experience.

    So maybe go for a desktop and server MCSA then move on to something else, such as the CCNA.

    Certs on their own won't get you a job as experience is just as important. If you're taking time out, find somewhere to volunteer in an IT role.

    Cisco and Microsoft exams aren't expensive to get if you self study.
  • EssendonEssendon Posts: 4,548Member ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dont wait till you get the cert, apply right away. There are no guarantees that a cert or two will get you a job, though your chances definitely increase. In addition, if you have no IT experience, then the MCSE will be a mountain to climb. Instead grab an MCTS and the CCNA and you should be good and like jonny72 said, go for Server 2012 instead of Server 2008 and go for Win 8 instead of Win 7.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

    Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • zen4xzen4x Posts: 15Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys, thank you for the answers. If I have experience with databases and website development, is this considered an experience or I need 1 or 2 years experience as help-desk or similar role to the position I am going to apply for.
  • gabyprgabypr Posts: 136Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    jonny72 wrote: »
    Start with Server 2012. You will find it a lot easier as the exams are far better structured than for Server 2008. Though I'd for for Win 7 over Win 8.

    Don't bother going for an MCSE as that is overkill for an entry level job, it won't mean much to you and it won't be easy without experience.

    So maybe go for a desktop and server MCSA then move on to something else, such as the CCNA.

    Certs on their own won't get you a job as experience is just as important. If you're taking time out, find somewhere to volunteer in an IT role.

    Cisco and Microsoft exams aren't expensive to get if you self study.

    I totally agree with this. Go ahead for Server 2012 and Windows 7.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

    Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • jonny72jonny72 Posts: 68Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    zen4x wrote: »
    Hi guys, thank you for the answers. If I have experience with databases and website development, is this considered an experience or I need 1 or 2 years experience as help-desk or similar role to the position I am going to apply for.

    Having any IT experience would be an advantage but I wouldn't count on it too much. Though it would depend on the platform and the job you were going for - IIS & SQL Server would be good for Windows environments whilst Apache & MySQL would be good for Linux.

    Work on the certs, find a way to get some experience (volunteering, helping out a friends business, anything basically) and start applying for jobs straight away.
  • zen4xzen4x Posts: 15Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    gabypr wrote: »
    I totally agree with this. Go ahead for Server 2012 and Windows 7.
    Is premature to take Windows 8 ? I was thinking to start from Win 8 for the MCSA.
Sign In or Register to comment.