Get the A+ Cert of not?

kapa89kapa89 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a student working my B.S. in MIS. I am currently studying for the A+ exam but I want to get into Database Administration. Should I keep on studying for the A+ or get into another cert which is more database-oriented like OCA or MTA?

Thank you.

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say keep studying for your A+, then move onto your database certs like oracle's OCA, OCP, etc. It can only be to your advantage.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • kapa89kapa89 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. So the MTA is not worth it?
  • Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't take MTA unless its free. I took 3 of them since my school was giving the Vouchers as part of the tuition.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unless you want to go down the microsoft path then I'd say yes go for the MTA, however I just don't think the MTA along with any microsoft certs have staying power nowadays.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I don't know if I'd worry about the A+ if what you want to do is database administration. Get a cert that matches your experience and your goals. The A+ will help you if you want to build or repair PCs. If that's not what you want to do, a database cert would hold alot more weight.
  • GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    I wouldn't waste time on the A+ unless your are trying to get into a help desk or PC repair gig.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you should get the A+ cert because it will show that you have knowledge that goes beyond the basics of computers and operating systems and that you've been tested on that knowledge. It's just a good background cert to have regardless of your chosen profession.