Options

Advice from fellow vets?

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
OK so I've been thinking a lot about signing up for army reserve part time since I've seen some IT jobs for part time and I could use the benifts and also gain some experience. What are your guys input or maybe some of you guys have had experience with this.
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have the chance to land a part time gig as a way in to IT I say go for it. I'm currently looking for this opportunity myself.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    Well it would be for the National Guard so I'd have to go through all that process. I just want to know if anyone has had any experience on the national guard and if they recommend it.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    I work with a lot of reserve guys in my current contracting role.

It is what you make it, and you won't do anything interesting IT related for years, if at all. The only time you would get a good amount of experience is if you get mobilized.

You will get sent to very basic schools and learn things that don't necessarily relate to civilian side IT work. Your one weekend a month/2 weeks a year will be spent doing trivial stuff like running cables or cleaning because the active duty units you work with won't want to bother showing you show things work to only get such a small amount of time.

There are good and valid reasons to join the reserves, but to get a foot in the door IT wise is not one of them.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    MiikeB wrote: »
    I work with a lot of reserve guys in my current contracting role.

It is what you make it, and you won't do anything interesting IT related for years, if at all. The only time you would get a good amount of experience is if you get mobilized.

You will get sent to very basic schools and learn things that don't necessarily relate to civilian side IT work. Your one weekend a month/2 weeks a year will be spent doing trivial stuff like running cables or cleaning because the active duty units you work with won't want to bother showing you show things work to only get such a small amount of time.

There are good and valid reasons to join the reserves, but to get a foot in the door IT wise is not one of them.

Well another reason I was thinking about it was for the education benefits and to pay off my loans while I finish WGU.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    The benefits (and of course, the clearance) are good reasons to do it. Also look at ANG.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    Valsacar wrote: »
    The benefits (and of course, the clearance) are good reasons to do it. Also look at ANG.

What's the difference from NG and ANG? And yes the benefits are what I like and clearance is good. I like the fact it is part time since I have 2 kids and a wife. I know there's still a chance of getting deployed but at least I'll be with my family up until that point if it ever happens.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    ANG is Air National Guard, the difference is Air Force vs Army. In my experience (Army vet, but worked with Air Force for 4 years) the Air Force tends to be more strict about placing people in the positions they were trained for, and not just putting a body in a hole.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013