Options

Resume/Cover letter review for an entry level job.

kylepossiblekylepossible Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can someone please critique my resume/cover letter?
I change the cover letter as fits, for the job description.

Do I enough experience to find a help-desk/desktop support job? If so where can I look besides careerbuilder/dice/craigslist, I live in Mass if that matters.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say in the education section. You did not complete a "Computer Science major" in two months, so do I read that as you went to school with the dream of being a CS major and withdrew/flunked out in two months? Put what you actually accomplished, if anything. If you didn't accomplish anything I'd probably put education at the bottom as a weak area.

Your high-school IT coop experience is very interesting. I'd be much more specific about the "complex problems" you solved and put that section near the top. It's the one thing I see on your resume that you actually accomplished in the realm of IT.

Your certification also deserves more prominent placement.

I wouldn't mention you're working on your A+/Network+ in your resume or cover letter. It only highlights that you do not have them, which contradicts your statement that you have "more than a basic knowledge of PCs and printers."
  • Options
    Thanks. Yea true that does look dumb, I withdrew so I removed that. I Put education down the bottom. Moved the cert under "technical skills" and removed the working on a+/n+ from cover letter.

About adding more onto "complex" problems, as far as high school computer problems the most complex is fixing the occasional blue screen or memory/hard drive failure, worth adding that in parentheses?
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good info Network Veteran. I had that was working on my certs on my resume and cover letter as well and your post just made me remove them.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    I would not classify those as complex problems since those would be more routine tasks in the type of job you are seeking. I would be more precise about the issues you fixed and the job duties.

Remove the short college from your resume since it will bring up questions and look worse than not having it at all in my opinon.
  • Options
    True, fixed that.