Options

The politics of internal job applications

I have had my fair share of interviews in the past and have applied to many more than that, but this will be the first time I have applied for an internal position and I have a few questions for those of you who have been through it before.
  1. The application asks for references - Is it ok to list my current boss as a reference? I would assume they will ask anyway, and she said she will help if approached by the hiring manager. I am curious what type of references they expect to see on someone who is already employed by the company. I have currently listed by Supervisor, my Team Lead, and my Team Lead from my previous employer.
  2. I work in a casual environment, jeans and a shirt is the attire for most around here. I am always sure to wear slacks and polo, neat and tucked, because I have always believed that you dress to impress. The position I am applying for requires slacks and polo, should I dress above this for my interview or would I be ok going in (my) standard work attire?
  3. How do internal interviews usually go? As I stated above, I have never had one, nor applied before. Are they similar to a regular interview or are they usually more candid because it is all internal?
Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Internal interviews in my experience have been a little informal but still business like if this makes sense. I still over dressed for each interview I went through that was internal which was only 2. I wore a dress shirt and tie, slacks and dress shoes. I also scheduled on my day off as well.
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    It really depends on the culture of the company. I've seen everything from formal interviews to the hiring manager randomly showing up and saying "Hey do you mind if we knock this interview out real quick before lunch?".
  • Options
    jonny72jonny72 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    References for an internal position seems a bit strange. You sure they don't just have a single application form which they give out to everyone and that the section isn't applicable for internal applicants? Normally (from my experience) the recruiting manager would just have a chat with HR and your current manager.

Don't think I'd do anything special clothes wise, just wear what I normally would. Though I'd make sure I ironed everything properly and that I didn't spill my lunch or my coffee down my shirt.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    @jonny72

I am under the impression that you are correct. The application is simply a public facing tool that they didn't bother to change for internal applicants. Oh well, I went ahead and listed my management who already gave me approval to apply, so it is a wash.

HR contacted me today and indicated I was not able to apply because of my tenure being sub 1 year. Luckily, the head manager of IT said he would override it for me. I think he is who I have an interview with as well, so I might just have myself a promotion coming soon. All I have to do now is sell myself.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck. I hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    Me too. I think this would renew my interest with the company.. else, I might start looking again. I hate to do that so fresh into this job, but I am bored and feel like I am wasting my time at present.
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Good luck to you.
    It is amazing how a job change within the company can change your whole opinion of the company.
    I wish you the best.
  • Options
    Over all, I feel the company is a great place. But the position I am in was a fall back for when someone more qualified took the job I applied towards. When they told me I didn't get the job, the company indicated that they were looking to find a place for me because they wanted me on their team. The job was a pay increase and a good opportunity to get my foot in the door, but it is not quite as technical as I would have hoped. A move to Desk side would put me in a great position to learn and develop my skills while providing a good amount of variety and challenge.

For now, I just assume keep working towards new certifications during my downtime.
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    As others have said internal postings are a tough one, and they vary greatly based on the company and manager doing the hiring. In my personal experience it has been easier to find a new job then to move up within the same company. I wish you all the luck however and I hope things are different for you.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i always wear a suit to internal postings
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Jackace wrote: »
    In my personal experience it has been easier to find a new job then to move up within the same company.

Ain't that the truth!! I'm finding that out now actually.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    As an update, the manager of the group I have applied to has emailed me requesting a meeting. So things are moving forward and they intend to interview me. Once I arrange and have the interview, I will let you guys know how it went.
  • Options
    Well, I had an interview today. Went well in my opinion. It was scheduled from 14:45 - 15:30. It actually lasted 2 hours. Non-technical, strictly a personality evaluation. He said there were 5 other candidates he was going to interview and hopes to get back to me by the end of the month. Fingers crossed that I get called back for a technical.