Options

OK so we haven't gone back to the moon yet but..

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
(Sorry if this has been posted before but been away for a few weeks.)

Space Oddity - YouTube

People say that we haven't progressed much in space travel because we have not returned to the moon. But here we have the commander of the space station, with his guitar making music videos in his spare time, like all the kids are doing on you tube in there bedrooms. Living in space has really moved on from the extraordinary to the norm, and while we might not have got back to the moon, the technology is hear and being tested to the point I would not be surprised to see it taking us far beyond in the not to distance future.

My daughters was 3 last week, it makes me wonder will her generation be the first to grow up as space travel becomes as common place and accessible as taking a plane across the oceans. And where will this push technology? With in the confines of the earth and a perfect fiber (ok no such thing but just to avoid confusion), the minimum latency to send a signal around the earth is 130ms (Assuming earth circumference is 24,000 miles). for communications purposes and most day to day tasks this is acceptable But once you move outside earth satalite orbits latency quickly grows to minutes. So if you want to make a lot of money and have your name go down in history, find a way to break the speed of light limit.. May be entangled particles or rewrite our current understanding of physics ;)
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I think I remember reading an article about a year ago (give/take) concerning someone having discovered a way to break the speed of light. I'm quite certain, yes.
  • Options
    hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    With our current understanding of physics we know it would be possible to make a warp drive. You'd only need the mass energy equivalent of the Voyager probe, not the mass energy equivalent of Jupiter as first thought.
  • Options
    Indeed, but the speed of the space ship is one thing, just as important is speed of communication between the space ship and home.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Xyro wrote: »
    I think I remember reading an article about a year ago (give/take) concerning someone having discovered a way to break the speed of light. I'm quite certain, yes.

Was this the tachyons that they thought had broken the speed of light, but discovered it was due to a measurement error. There are a number of theoretical partials that can travel faster than light, but all have issues, such as unmeasurable, require traveling through some of the other dimensions or the fact that they can travel faster only if they start of traveling faster than the speed of light, they are not actually able to cross the speed of light barrier. ( bit like the sea, planes fly above it and subs fly below it, but n the particle world there are non so far that do both.)
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    This was the experience in Switzerland about a year ago (give/take). It was done twice as I remember. I haven't updated this knowledge though.