How should I send my resume?

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
So I am applying for a stat job within my county. Here is the link for the posting Jobs.Ca.Gov It says to mail your application to the address on the bottom. I have my application ready as well as my resume and cover letter to go along with it. What is the best and fastest way for me to mail this and your guys recommendations. Should i just fold all the pages and put it in a regular envelope or should i mail everything without folding it?
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Whether it is folded or not is likely to have zero impact on whether you're hired or not. Don't stress over it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Send all of it without folding in a hard envelope certified mail. That person has to sign for it and you will get confirmation of this. It also comes across as very professional. If you want it there faster overnight it. but folding stuff would just be tacky in this situation.
  • boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    I was thinking it's very odd that they want you to mail in your application, but then i saw it was a government job, hehe. On a more serious note, I personally would just fold it.
    but folding stuff would just be tacky in this situation.

What makes you say this?
    What makes you say this?

Well, the job post was very specific. Which leads me to believe that the hiring manager likes things neat and orderly. Why fold it up? This is your first impression. If you really want this job, are you willing to take that risk? It wont cost much more to get a large envelope and it shows you went the extra step to make a good impression. Its a no brainer IMO.
    I wouldn't take the risk if I thought there was one. I don't think there is any risk whatsoever in mailing in a standard sized envelope personally.
    its probably not a huge risk. However why chance it? Plus he wants to stand out and this will help him do that amongst the thousands of resumes that are received(it is doubtful that someone is opening all of them).
    There is no 'chancing it' in my opinion. When looking for a candidate to fill a position what type of envelope they send their resume in has no bearing at all. This isn't a mail room position! :D
    Forget the whole chancing it thing. Simply having an envelope that looks different or has to be signed for might be the difference in his being opened or never even looked at. But hey i guess we will have to agree to disagree i suppose. It really comes down to how important it is to the OP. If its his dream job and he would do anything to get it... i think he will go that extra step. if not, then hey just fold it up and send it in.
    Or the person could end up never getting it because they miss the courier or aren't there to sign!

But yes, agree to disagree.
    Good point. Send one certified and one not. Problem solved. icon_lol.gif
  • pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
    Thanks for all the responses. I mean it is not my dream job, but it could be heading in that direction depending on how everything went if I got it. Any experience I can get in IT is good for me.
    WGU Complete: September 2014
  • boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    Nobodys first job in IT is their dream job... you'll have to grind up that ladder corporate ladder just like the rest of us :P
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I would be very surprised if the hiring manager would ever see the envelope to begin with. I thought that is what HR does for a living. They sort based on the qualifications. All they are going to do is rip it open, decide if they like it, and then forward it to the manager to review. He / She will likely never know HOW it arrived.

Plus, it is a gov position. They probably have you print it out and mail it in, then have someone take that mail and type it into a word doc, then forward it to a reviewer to determine if you meet the qualifications and finally send it to the manager. Thus, creating as much needless work as possible. :D