Options

Connectivity issue when going through another router to access the internet

Z3-MasterdZ3-Masterd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Greetings Everyone:

I have two 2501 routers linked together via serial cable. The Ethernet port of Router B connects to a Linksys router and provides internet access. (See my diagram to get a better idea of what's going on.)

Router B can access the internet. I'm able to ping Google, ESPN, MSN, etc.

Router A can ping the Serial and Ethernet interfaces of Router B, but nothing further. It cannot ping the Linksys Router (192.168.1.1) and thus cannot access the internet. What have I missed?

Below are the results for sh ip route, sh ip int brief, and sh run. Please let me know if additional information must be supplied.

Please note: I have also tried entering default routes on Router A to 192.168.1.200 and 192.168.1.1. Neither impacted the result.

Comments

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does the Linksys router have a route back the Router A's subnets? I've seen home routers that won't even let you assign static routes [or use a routing protocol]. They send everything to the default gateway (Your ISP). If you can't assign static routes, your best option would be to set up NAT on Router B so that it translates all addresses from Router A's subnets to an address on your Linksys Router's subnet.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Z3-MasterdZ3-Masterd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    theodoxa,

Thank you for your reply. I haven't configured anything on the Linksys Router. Since Router B could access the internet through it as is, it never crossed my mind to do so.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    as theodoxa said you need a route in the linksys back to the subnet Router A is on