Options

Landing my first I.T Job, With 6 Months Help Desk/ Tech Support experience

WilliamWrightWilliamWright Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently a freshman in College, I have 6 months of I.T experience at the Chicago History Museum. The Director of Information technology gave me a letter of recommendation and i feel pretty confident about getting a Job after I get my A+ Certification. I take my first test in 2 weeks.

My goal is to get a bachelors in Computer engineering but that will be a while from now. Whats the realities of me landing an entry level help desk or any entry level in I.T with My Cert, Letter Of recommendation, and my internship experience of 6 months?
Should I even try???

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes of course. 6 months is more than zero and a good recommendation and the A+ are a great start. Only problem might be finding something that works around your school schedule if that is even an issue.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What type of position are you looking for?
  • Options
    Help desk or tech support. Entry level.
  • Options
    Bump! I'm looking for anything entry level, Help-desk, Tech Support or anything else dealing with entry tech. I'm currently a restaurant worker, But I've been repaired family and friends computers for years. I've gain references from my internship which will be great, also my family and friends could possibly be listed as people who I have done tech work for.

My School schedule will be difficult ofcourse but I figured I'll do night classes.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    6 mo. of experience, an A+ certification, and you're in college? Your chances of finding an entry-level IT job are pretty good provided you can find one that fits your schedule. Consider looking at your college itself.

A job as a waiter is not bad as it can improve your people skills.
  • Options
    With no health insurance and more manual labor these restaurant jobs are fatal. They do nothing in furthering my career and your often treated lesser than the dishes you serve to customers. My people skills are great, and the hours a flexible but not reliable. One week you can make 400-500, next week you can 100. While it's not all about money, you sure do need stability. I'm Just aching to enter the tech field and start my career in the field that I truly like.

Where should I start looking? How should I present my resume? How do I follow up on a resume I sent in? I'm absolutely clueless about the Tech field at this point.
  • Options
    ncisivencisive Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you have any friends/family/ in any tech companies? I would talk to them and try to get a word of mouth referral. Also sometimes consulting with IT staffing companies can help someone out in your position or at the very least give you some advice.
  • Options
    Thanks a bunch man,
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would go for it you have some experience, degree, and a cert to get you started!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go for it for sure! Most entry level jobs don't require much prior experience or credentials at all, especially in the help desk industry. The restaurant experience should be something of value to you as well has been a great avenue for building your people skills, which is a must for phone based tech support jobs. Take it from me. I delivered pizzas for 2 years prior to getting my official real IT job 3 years ago which was a help desk gig. Now I am working as a Tier 1 Network Operations Engineer. You can defiantly rise up from the food industry and never look back :)
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    dscalesdscales Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Danielh22185

You mean to tell me you are working Tier 1 without a college degree of any kind?