Options

I have years of experience, should I be able to get this job?

spartensparten Banned Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have years of experience doing website administration / website development stuff but the job I applied for is something unrelated (Systems/Network Admin work)

Although they are both IT related, does my years of experience count? Is it worth mentioning in my resume / application?

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Web development is pretty broad but unless you have experience with routers or switches I don't see how it can help you land a network admin gig. However, just apply, the worst thing that can happen is them not calling you. Also, it is very important how you will list it and how you present it as a whole. If you have some experience with a home lab, for example, I'd use that.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is someone who wants you to design, configure, and troubleshoot networks going to highly value your web development experience? Probably not, as the two tasks have almost nothing in common.

I'd focus on anything you've done related to the target job.
  • Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like others said, depends if you know networking(cisco gears, junnipers, dns,dhcp etc). You can always try, might happened that they are really need someone quick, and experience is not relevant.It Depends.
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    It is definitely worth mentioning but I don't think the experience is completely relevant to a sys admin job unless you are the one loading the OS and setting up the web server also.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    spartensparten Banned Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ya i dont have any "professional" exp. or training doing any sys/network admin work, but ive played around with windows and linux servers alot on my own.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think having the development background is great. It shows you are not a helpdesk NOC level employee. I say go for it and YES I think you could land that job.
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    You could get it. You have net+ and A+. Really depends on the exact job.

Job I am in now, I beat out 100s of candidates, some of them with masters in CS, CCNPs, etc. Reason I got it was because I was "teachable" and had a good (meaning calm) phone and in person presence under pressure.