Lab Kit for CCNA and CCNP - Equipments and shipping questions

sparsktersparskter Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello there!

Well I am studying for my CISCO CCNA certification. I have already scheduled the 640-822 ICND1 to 03/June/2013 and if I pass I will schedule the 640-816 ICND2 as well and before 30/September2013, the last day to take both.

I am planning to buy a CCNA and CCNP lab. The problem is I live in Brazil and anything I buy from ebay will have a high shipping price (check the images I posted showing a ship price of a lab kit). So, unfortunately I cannot assemble my own kit by buying parts individually because the overall shipping when combined will be higher than a assembled ready kit itself. Not to mention the taxes: for every product I am buying, I will have to pay taxes.

I am considering this KIT:

CISCO PREMIUM V3 CCENT CCNA CCNP Home Lab Kit 1-Year warranty-
Cisco Premium V3 Ccent CCNA CCNP Home Lab Kit 1 Year Warranty | eBay

Price: $399,00
Shipping:

$231.45 USPS Priority Mail International
$256.65 USPS Express Mail International

By the way: could anyone tell me the differences between USPS Priority and USPS Express? I just need a shipping method that is FULL TRACKABLE/TRACEABLE to my country and preferably with insurance as well. Are they both trackable and with insurance?

So, my main question is: will this LAB KIT be enough to CCNP AND CCNA? Actually I am pretty sure it will cover CCNA, but my main concern is if the LAB will cover the future exams that will replace the present ones (for example, CCNA will change exams to 100-101/200-102).

Thank you very much,

Comments

• sucanushiesucanushie Member Posts: 163
    It's usually better to buy them not in a kit.

Just a quick look on ebay for the same gear...

2610-$70

2620-$70 X 2

2950 $65 X3

WIC 2T $20 X3

Total of $465 shipping included.

That was just a quick search, but if you keep your eye out you could get better prices.
  • sparsktersparskter Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sucanushie wrote: »
    It's usually better to buy them not in a kit.

Just a quick look on ebay for the same gear...

2610-$70

2620-$70 X 2

2950 $65 X3

WIC 2T $20 X3

Total of $465 shipping included.

That was just a quick search, but if you keep your eye out you could get better prices.

Hello sucanushie!

Thanks for the suggestions! I will really look into that. You said that everything summed up $465 with shipping. But that shipping was to USA/Canada, right? About $30 per equipment? I think that shipping to Brazil will be much more expensive!

For example: CISCO 2620XM
    Cisco 2600 2620XM Call Manager Express CME Ccna Voice | eBay

Screenshot:
    2013_05_27_20_10_35_CISCO_2620_XM_SHIPPING.jpg

Price: $104,71
    Shipping: $75,25

Nevertheless I will really extend my research just as you suggested.

What do you think about the choices of equipments? Do you suggest any changes?

thanks!
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Guy is in Brazil, not exactly the same as shipping to US/Canada....

OP - I would ask the seller about insurance/tracking. For CCNP you'll want a couple L3 switches like 3550.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    Even still... It's always better to buy gear individually then in those kits.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Even still... It's always better to buy gear individually then in those kits.

It really depends, especially for someone who is in another country, it may be beneficial to buy all together and get a better s/h cost.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • fluffymomfluffymom Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There is no way that kit will do CCNP. Be very careful what some of these companies advertise. Some are more reputable than others.
    If you intend on using the CiscoPress CCNP lab workbooks, they require four routers running Advanced IP services which these routers can't do and four switches of which two should be layer 3 switches. This kit does not have any layer 3 switches.

It is an ok CCNA kit though. Just don't expect it to do CCNP for you.

I know when I ship presents to my nephew in Italy using USPS there is only tracking until it leaves the US. Then there is no tracking. 99% of the time the package makes it. But one time it did not and they would not cover the claim even though I had insurance. They said the Italian Post Office lost it and it was no their problem. icon_sad.gif

Dee
    Thanks for the tips fluffymom. I expect to use the USPS Express with insurance shipping method; I am sorry you had problems with USPS one time. I hope it never happens again with you and with me on this first time. Nevertheless, I found a seller, "fati_zee" that will customize a lab for me. Originally, I contacted him for this lab:

Cisco CCNA CCNP SDM Lab 2620XM Routers 2924 2950 Switch | eBay

Devices:
    -2x Cisco 2620XM
    -2x Cisco 2950 Switches WS-C2950-24
    -2x Back to Back Serial Cables to connect Routers
    -1x Console Cable to configure the Routers and Switches
    -4x Power Cables

But I will ask him to customize this. I said him If I pass on ICND1 on 03/June/2013, I will buy his Lab. Hopefully I will pass! (I like being optimistic :):Dicon_lol.gif). The idea is:
    1. Pass on ICND1 Exam;
    2. Buy a customized Lab Kit that covers CCNA;
    3. Study and pass on ICND2!
    4. Upgrade my LAB kit, device by device;
    5. Study towards CCNP!;
    Could you people, please advise on customizing this? The idea is to have a "CCNA+" (CCNA plus lab kit) with CCNP in mind. That is: it will cover CCNA and the beginning of CCNP. Why? Because the shipping will be VERY expensive on this firts buy. So I will buy a kit and upgrade it device-by-device (for example: once I have my lab, I intend to buy a Layer-3 Switch four months later or until I got more savings do buy it).

thanks!
  • CorzaCorza Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is a good start. TBH for ROUTE all you would need to add is two 3550's at minimum. Good luck!
  • fluffymomfluffymom Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, my thoughts are like this...
    The routers only have 96/32 memory. I would like to see 128/32 so you can run 12.4 Advanced IP IOS. Especially if you are going to use them for CCNP down the road. That will probably add a few bucks to the cost. You should also look to get a switch that will run the EI IOS. At least one that will do that. ROUTE will require three 2610XM or 2620XM units plus one 2611XM with two FE ports. Each unit will also need a wic-2t. That is if you are following the Cisco Academy CCNP lab workbooks for the CCNP part of it. Just for some extra caution, ask what happens if a unit has a problem. Who pays shipping back and such as international shipping is expensive.
    fluffymom wrote: »
    Ok, my thoughts are like this... The routers only have 96/32 memory. I would like to see 128/32 so you can run 12.4 Advanced IP IOS. Especially if you are going to use them for CCNP down the road. That will probably add a few bucks to the cost. You should also look to get a switch that will run the EI IOS. At least one that will do that. ROUTE will require three 2610XM or 2620XM units plus one 2611XM with two FE ports. Each unit will also need a wic-2t. That is if you are following the Cisco Academy CCNP lab workbooks for the CCNP part of it. Just for some extra caution, ask what happens if a unit has a problem. Who pays shipping back and such as international shipping is expensive.

Hello there! Well, GOOD NEWS: I passed: 912/1000!

I have to say: you REALLY have to study for this exam! No way you can study just a little and hope to "just pass"! I am very happy because I studied a lot :Dicon_lol.gif.

Hello fluffymom! Thanks again for the suggestions! I really want to buy a lab now and I will try to get a $300,00 maximum on budge (excluding the shipping price of course). I will ask the seller on these:

Devices:
    -3x Cisco 2620XM 128/32 RAM
    -2x Cisco 2970 Switches WS-C2970-24 / (supports EI IOS)
    -3x Back to Back Serial Cables to connect Routers
    -1x Console Cable to configure the Routers and Switches
    -5x Power Cables

Later on I will upgrade it to a full blown CCNP Lab, device-by-device.

What do you think on this lab? Remember: my initial idea/plan is to start with something that will cover CCNP on the future. It is a first buy and so it will be upgraded on the future. For now I only intend to full cover CCNA and the very beginning of CCNP.

Thank you very much!
    You will also need 3 Wic1T or Wic2T's
    You will also need 3 Wic1T or Wic2T's

Thanks sucanushie! Well remembered! Here we go:

Devices:
    -3x Cisco 2620XM 128/32 RAM;
    -2x Cisco 2970 Switches WS-C2970-24 / (supports EI IOS);
    -3x Back to Back Serial Cables to connect Routers;
    -3x WIC 2T or WIC 1T;
    -1x Console Cable to configure the Routers and Switches;
    -5x Power Cables;

Anything else?
    Hello there,

A seller contacted me and offered these:

Devices:

- Routers: 2x 1760, 1x 2610, 1x Cisco 2503 (for Frame Relay)
    - Switches: 3x 2950
    - WIC Cards: 3x WIC 2T cards (he may have a few other different WIC card like T1)
    - 3x Cisco WIC-2T modules.
    - 3x Serial cable for Frame relay connection
    - Enough Serial Connection Cable Between Routers
    - 4 Straight thru ethernet cable
    - 3 Cross-over Cable ethernet,
    - 1 (maybe 2) Cconsole cable
    - 1 (maybe 2) USB dongle for console cable
    - Power cable for each router/switch.

PRICE: $430+shipping

He said me that this is a better setup than this one:
    -3x Cisco 2620XM 128/32 RAM;
    -2x Cisco 2970 Switches WS-C2970-24 / (supports EI IOS);
    -3x Back to Back Serial Cables to connect Routers;
    -3x WIC 2T or WIC 1T;
    -1x Console Cable to configure the Routers and Switches;
    -5x Power Cables;

What do you think? Which is better here? Cisco 1760 or 2620XM ? What do you think from the stated price?

thanks!