Options

Changing tracks at WGU

joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Give me your thoughts, I'm currently in the Network Management track at WGU and still need to pass the 70-647 and 70-680 before July 31st. My semester just ended. The Course Mentor is suggesting I switch to the Network Administration path. This would remove the 647 class and replace it with the 646 Server Admin test and then I could take the 680 later. The only thing I realized though, is that it also adds the CCNA certifications.
On first glance this is good but in all honesty, I'm not that interested in working in a NOC, and I feel like this ups the difficulty of the degree. In my mind, the CCNA cert is up there with the Microsoft exams in terms of difficulty.
I started looking at the basic IT track and even though it adds more units to my program, I can ditch the Microsoft and CCNA certifications, I feel like I could get through 20 units of in house stuff much more quickly then either one of the above certifications. My goal here is to finish as quickly as possible so I can move on with my life. In taking the Microsoft exams I have taken, I'm starting to feel like they are a lot of work with very little reward. In other words, I have to memorize a lot of stuff that isn't necessarily relevant. I would be better to spend my time learning some scripting skills, exchange, and Unix. Also, I'm considering pursuing some Computer Science stuff after WGU, the Microsoft certs don't help me there either.

Comments

• Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    Sounds to me like you should just do the basic IT track. Unless you feel like the knowledge from the CCNA will give you an advantage either in higher pay or usefulness for on the job. From what I've always heard the CCNA will teach you more practical knowledge than Microsoft certs whereas Microsoft certs are more of a check in the box.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most of us liked WGU because of the Cisco and Microsoft certs.
    But you dont really think those will help you? So I am assuming you just want the degree, is that right?

I learned a lot from my MS certs and Cisco certs so you'd probably be more rounded if you switched like your mentor suggested
  • Options
    I feel like I learned a lot from the 70-640. Originally, I wanted the program for the MCITP:EA because I thought it would be great career-wise. However, I felt like the 642,643, and the 647 are checkboxes. The 680 I'm sure has some merit but I won't know until I get there. I'm definitely more after the degree then the certs. I don't want to make a rushed decision out of frustration, I should have changed tracks last semester, I basically spent this entire semester trying to pass the 643. So it was a complete waste of time and tuition money. I'd rather not spend an entire semester again on a single class, even if the CCNA is a great certification to have.
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    I feel your pain. It only took myself three terms to finish my degree. I switched from the track you are currently in to the generic IT track. I just wanted to finish sooner then later.

I also wasted something like half a term attempting 70-640 three times.
  • Options
    KeithC wrote: »
    I feel your pain. It only took myself three terms to finish my degree. I switched from the track you are currently in to the generic IT track. I just wanted to finish sooner then later.

I also wasted something like half a term attempting 70-640 three times.

Glad I'm not the only one....lol
  • Options
    I contacted Microsoft about the exams expiring and they are saying I can still get the MCITP:EA after July 31st. Check it out, certainly changes things, I am almost done, I just need to knock that damn 647 out in the next two months:

Kanika: Hello Joseph,
    Kanika: Thank you for contacting Microsoft Chat Support. My name is Kanika. Please give me a moment while I review your question.
    Kanika: We have not heard from you. Do you wish to continue the chat?
    Kanika: If I understand you correctly, you want to know if you will achieve the MCITP certification after July 31,2013?
    Joseph Halford: Yes. The 70-647 expires on the 31st but the 680 does not. I can get the 647 done by then, but not the 680.
    Kanika: Thank you for confirming.
    Kanika: Yes, you will earn the MCITP certification if you pass the exam 70-680 after July 31,2013.
    Kanika: Most MCITP certifications will be retired by July 31, 2014
    Joseph Halford: Will it be the MCITP:EA certification?
    Kanika: After January 31, 2014, you can no longer earn the MCITP certification but you will achieve MCSA certification.
    Kanika: Yes.
    Joseph Halford: Perfect, thanks. There are a lot of people out there saying the opposite. I'm glad to hear.
    Kanika: I understand your concern.
    Kanika: Is there anything else apart from this I can help you with Joseph?
    Joseph Halford: Nope, that answers my question, thanks!
  • Options
    My suggestion would be to talk to your mentor and ask about taking a term break. I forget if this would be doable but take your break for 1-2 months and try to pass the 70-647(the part I am unsure of is if you can submit an exam score sheet from a date taken while on break). Yes you'll have to pay for your own vouchers but it'll beat tuition.

This way you are not paying for a whole term if you can not pass the 647 before the exam retires and then you are stuck in the ND&M degree. Since you can only change your focus between terms.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i switched to the standard IT degree from a networking degree (me and ms dont get along)
    and this way i can get the certs i wanted not the certs that come with the degree....not to mention its faster and all their IT degrees just say IT no details other than that

also keep in mine once you graduate you can still access books 24/7 so you can study from there on the certs you want
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, I decided to go ahead and switch after discussing with the mentor. She said only 1/3 of the students pass the 680 the first time and only a 1/3 pass the second time as well. Then most switch or spend their entire semester on just that. They are changing future curriculum to an in-house so they can structure the material to the test and make it not so hair-pulling. Hearing that, my brain still says "Keep pushing you can do it!" but my guts says "Quit killing yourself over these and move on to something you can get through". So I switched.
  • Options
    Good Luck, Hopefully you'll be enrolled in the newer java classes.
  • Options
    bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    Thanks for the replies guys, I decided to go ahead and switch after discussing with the mentor. She said only 1/3 of the students pass the 680 the first time and only a 1/3 pass the second time as well. Then most switch or spend their entire semester on just that. They are changing future curriculum to an in-house so they can structure the material to the test and make it not so hair-pulling. Hearing that, my brain still says "Keep pushing you can do it!" but my guts says "Quit killing yourself over these and move on to something you can get through". So I switched.

I passed that exam after studying for 3 weeks. Most students at WGU have very little IT experience if any at all. It definitely wasnt an "easy" exam but it was not nearly as hard as some of the MCSA/MCSE 2003 exams or the MCITP exams.

But on the other hand sounds like you are trying to complete your degree ASAP so unless you believe having the MS certs would value somehow probably better that you switched.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I actually switched from the basic IT course to the network admin track to get out of doing the programming courses.

I have no need to learn Java, etc so I switched as soon as I could!