Skype Interview Suggestions?

Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
I interview for a technical support position on Monday over Skype. This will be a work from home position with a legit company (as in you all know of it and use it's products/software). Now I know I still want to dress to impress, so I'm getting a shirt dry cleaned and all that, but still have some questions/need suggestions. Should I wear a tie? I know to clean up the room I'm using (my living room), but anything I should specifically look for to hide that I might not think of? Any good advice for a Skype interview from home?
"If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
"Great things have small beginnings."

Comments

• wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Make sure you have a clean background with good lighting on you. That will really help the quality of the video feed.
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    do a test run before hand and make sure everything is working properly.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you are not alone at home during the interview, tell others you will have an important meeting to avoid embarrassing shouts/noise in background
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    I arranged the furniture in my bedroom to give me a small office area with my webcam facing the wall. That way all they see is me, the wall, and as just a coincidence my degree and certs in frames along with other noteworthy items.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A fake mustache never hurt. :)

Just make sure your house is quiet and no one comes walking in.
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    No harm in a tie - if nothing else it shows you are taking this interview seriously.

As for what to avoid, if you have dogs that bark when someone comes to the door put a note on it that clearly states not to knock or ring the bell - "Meeting in Progress". Even if the Skype interview is at 9am when you don't expect anyone to come by and the dogs are locked in a separate room, do this. 99% of the time your efforts will be wasted, but the one time someone comes by at a totally unexpected time...

Care to guess how I know this can be a problem?

Other than that, have a notepad and pen handy, a drink and double-check the camera/laptop hasn't been moved since you positioned it.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cigar and housecoat is the play here! icon_lol.gif

Good luck!
  • Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    Well right now the plan is to drop the kid off at my parents house for the morning, and I'm going to lock the cats up in a bedroom for the duration. I think I will go with a tie, just seems natural. I'll have to think about moving some stuff around, right now I have the couch and TV behind me, along with two windows facing to the east (so plenty of sunshine). If I flip to the other available wall, I could have a wall behind me with a fish tankand space to hang my certs. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm really stoked about this opportunity, mostly because it will make things easier on my wife who just got her RN license.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Make sure no naked girlfriends are walking by...!

Other than that, definitely do a test interview and record yourself. After the rehearsal, see what you could improve. Good luck!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    make sure you have a good connection and get some comfy pants they wont see them so why bother wearing a suit when all ya need is the top part
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    along with two windows facing to the east (so plenty of sunshine). If I flip to the other available wall, I could have a wall behind me with a fish tankand space to hang my certs.

Just watch for getting to much direct sunshine, esp. to the side or directly behind you. It can create weird shadows or turn your background totally white. If it is sunny out, then a big north facing window is great. If a bit overcast, then any direction will be fine. But, as was mentioned, a trial run is a good idea, though weather conditions can vary if you are using sunlight as your main light.