What should i put on my resume 680&686

JayBliskJayBlisk Member Posts: 182
What should I put on my resume after passing the 680 and 686. I know that the 680 is MCTS and the 686 is a MCTIP but not sure if I just put MCSA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would use both. If asked, explain why. No hurt in using them both, and anyone who understands the certifications in themselves will know the reasoning behind it.
  • JayBliskJayBlisk Member Posts: 182
    @MSP-IT so put MCTS, MCTIP and MCSA or just the first 2? Thanks for your response
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would list whatever shows up on your MS transcript that way if asked for it you won't be lying as you will have what ever is on it.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MCITP is being retired, but for the time being it is still active and definitely has value. You earned the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator when you passed BOTH the 70-680 and the 70-686.

The MCTS is also being retired. You can put that one on there if you'd like, but it doesn't hold the same value as the MCITP.

MCSA is the new tier 1 certification, underneith the new MCSE.
    MCSA=Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (Tier 1).
    MCSE=Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (Tier 2).
    Definitely put the MCSA on there, that's a brand new certification!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
    Ok should I put MCSA: Windows7 Enterprise Desktop Administrator or just MCSA:Windows7. Just wondering because I have a job I want to send an updated resume for and the new cert wont show up on my transcripts for a couple of days
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you passed both 70-680 and 70-686, you have the following certifications:

MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7
    MCSA: Windows 7

You are entitled to put all three on your resume, according to Microsoft. The MCTS is a lower-level cert than the MCITP or MCSA, so you can choose to leave that off if you'd like, but I would definitely put the last two if I were in your position. Your transcript will reflect all three.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    @slowhand. Sweet thanks slowhand. icon_thumright.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Has anyone taken both the 70-685 and the 686?
    Im curious on how they compare...

Congrats on passing Jayblisk
    @olaHalo thanks bro
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jay you used real equipment for labs right? Or did you virtual lab? I'm starting the 70-680 grind, so I'm just hoping to get a good solid foundation for this beast of an exam.
    @rosco2382 I have a HP server with VMware ESXI on it and V-sphere on my laptop. I have two 2008 R2 Servers, one as a DC and the other for WDS, RDC and file storage. I have six Intel SSD's in RAID-0 with an Adaptec raid card and a 3tb spin drive for storage. Also 16gb of ram and the NIC card was PXE enabled. Oh yeah I also have a TechNet subscription which has been priceless. This worked best for me because it helped simulate a real environment. Good Luck Bro and if you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask me or anyone on this forum. This site has been as valuable if not more valuable than my TechNet subscription. icon_thumright.gificon_study.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DavidHoffmanJrDavidHoffmanJr Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @DavidHoffmanJr thanks bro
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AHarrisonAHarrison Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JayBlisk wrote: »
    Oh yeah I also have a TechNet subscription which has been priceless. This worked best for me because it helped simulate a real environment. Good Luck Bro and if you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask me or anyone on this forum. This site has been as valuable if not more valuable than my TechNet subscription. icon_thumright.gificon_study.gif

Do you subscribe to the TechNet Standard edition or Professional edition? What were the reasons behind what you chose?

I'll be purchasing a TechNet subscription, as I'll be studying for the MCSA: Windows 7 (among other reasons). I was thinking about getting the Standard edition, but if you have the Professional edition and feel that it was more beneficial in your studies, please let me know.
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I have the Standard subscription, and found it sufficient. I must admit, though, that I may upgrade it to the Professional subscription at renewal time. The Professional subscription gives you Datacenter and Enterprise edition software, and an additional IT Academy class (total becomes 2 classes).

My thoughts regarding the upgrade: Academy classes run about $100, so why not pay for it (and get the Datacenter and Enterprise licenses so that you are fully licensed for whatever complex multi-server lab scenario you are provisioning). You could justify it the other way too. That is, pay for the additional licensing, and you get a free IT Academy class.

The one negative about the Academy classes: you don't find the latest technologies listed. I ought to ask Microsoft about that ... it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to exclude Server 2012 classes.
  • AHarrisonAHarrison Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, ITMonkey. I think I'll just go with the Standard subscription for now. I'll upgrade if I'm in the type of situation where you're in right now, where you feel there's a possibly substantial benefit to you if you upgrade the subscription.

As these subscriptions aren't cheap, if there's any more questions I have before I buy I'll probably post a new thread in the general section. I don't want to hijack JayBlisk's thread.
  • oranksoranks Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what video did you use for 70-680 pls?
    I used cbt nuggets. Also to everyone Microsoft is discontinuing the TechNet subscription icon_sad.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]