Interview

JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys, to day I had an interview for a Network Admin position. It went really well actually. We scheduled a second interview for next week. They made me visit the IT department and the server room. I actually found it odd that they made me visit the server room on the first interview. Fortunately for them I'm a good guy and didn't do any kind of "social engineering". So I was wondering if you guys ever had that kind of interview in the past?

Comments

• SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    My last 2 help desk positions gave me a tour of the server room. I didn't think anything of it.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    What kind of "social engineering" would you be doing in the server room? I could see this as a potential security concern because you could gather information that might later be used in some kind of attack. Or even potentially plugged something malicious into their network (though I'm sure they didn't really let you run around by yourself back there). But I don't really see how a server room is conducive to social engineering. You can't talk a server into giving you its password. Trust me, I've tried icon_wink.gif
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    What kind of "social engineering" would you be doing in the server room?

+1. I give young job candidates tours all the time. My rationale is it often excites and motivates folks to join who have had little or no exposure to high-end and cutting-edge gear. They're never out of my sight or earshot on these tours.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Tours seem quite normal from what I've gathered. The one place I didn't get to tour first, and ended up getting hired at, had servers laying ontop of others(sometimes upside down), and network equipment half racked, half balancing on jewel cases.

I can see the appeal of wanting to see the infrastructure in person before accepting a job offer.
  • boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    The one place I didn't get to tour first, and ended up getting hired at, had servers laying ontop of others(sometimes upside down), and network equipment half racked, half balancing on jewel cases.

We work at the same place???
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    and network equipment half racked, half balancing on jewel cases.
    Hilarious!

I worked a short contract for a company a while ago and a router (critical, apparently!!) was hanging by it's power cable behind a rack. Not even wedged there, just hanging. To top it off, there were some dusty old computers sitting right next to that rack which my boss one fine day asked me to move. Guess what happened? I knocked the router's power cable loose because it wound around the dusty computers. All their stores lost connectivity to the main office and I lost the job.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Essendon wrote: »
    Hilarious!

snip snip snip
    I knocked the router's power cable loose because it wound around the dusty computers. All their stores lost connectivity to the main office and I lost the job.

You not serious, are you ? THey cant fire you over such case.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They did. The reason they gave me was incompetency! I did speak with a lawyer and there wasnt much I could do about it. I was building some laptops a day before the incident and because of an oversight I missed adding an application to the machines. My incompetency was the inability to build a computer! But I know the real reason was that management needed to find a scapegoat to show they did something about the outage.

O well, this was almost 7 years ago and when I look back the incident was a blessing. I found a much better (and permanent with benefits) role right after and my career took off from there.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good story too mate. How not to do IT! :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ii was showed around once and a Cisco 3750 stack was cable-tied to the rack. I asked about it and apparently they lost the ears of the switches and had not tray and no cable they had was long enough so they could place it either on top of a server or the floor.

After the interview I got home and send them two sets of ears with a note saying 'Please rescue the switches'.

And yepp, got the offer (didn't take it tho).
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OMG the spelling. Apologize ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p