Options

70-686 & 70-685

About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
I wanted to poll the Windows 7 go-ers and see why a lot of you are going for the 686 vs the 685. At the end of the day they will both become the MCSA*, but I have noticed a lot of posts about the 686 and really don't get the appeal. It sounds so boring to me especially after taking the 680. More deployment? No thanks.

Anyway, can someone shine a little light on the topic and let me know why you might have decided to go with the 686 over the 685? Or maybe you will do both, perhaps answer why you decided to do the 686 first.

Thanks.

* The only exception I have seen is that the 686 will allow an upgrade to Server 2012 where the 685 will not.

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As you stated, the 70-686 offers upgrade paths that the 70-685 does not. That is why I personally went the 686 route.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    EasyMac308EasyMac308 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    686 is more applicable to enterprise, and for individuals who are looking to move through it to higher levels.
    Currently Reading: A cereal box
    BS:IT student at WGU - 81/120 CU done as of 6/2016
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Both are great reasons and I agree with them entirely. The 686 seems better for people who are trying to learn towards system admin instead of DST. I want to get to the system admin level, but I feel like my eyes will bleed if I review more deployment material. The end result is me either learning matierial I want(685) and coming back to the 686 after or just gritting my teeth and getting this thing out of the way now.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did the 70-680 and the 70-685 a few weeks apart from each other.
    I found the 685 to be MUCH easier.

Besides I dont get the benefit of the 686. What upgrade path does it provide that you cant get with the 685?
    The only one I see is the MCSA Server 2012. Which isnt a big deal to me because I will be getting the MCSA Server 2008 and that is also ugpradable.
  • Options
    JayBliskJayBlisk Member Posts: 182
    My friend is an Active Directory Engineer and he recommended the 686 because it was more on the administration side which I am leaning towards.

I am so glad I saw this post because I was about to order my 640 book today and I didn't even know you could upgrade off of the 686 cert to the MCSA 2012 Windows Server. Nice!!!! icon_thumright.gif

@EasyMac308 why wouldn't you just do the 70-417? I'm just curious because I see you are studying for the 640 now.

@About7Narwhal If at any point you want to be a system administrator and not just a Desktop Support Technician then do the 686 but there is nothing wrong with desktop support. Also it sounds like you didn't like it but deployment was my favorite part of both exams the 680 & the 686. That is where I was the strongest. Good luck bro

Good luck to everyone in your endeavors!!!! icon_study.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep in mind that the MCITP stuff is being retired. So ultimately, I don't think it matters that much whether you take the 685 or the 686, because they both earn you the same MCSA: Windows 7 certification. (which is the new Tier 1 cert) Fairly soon the MCITP will become unobtainable anyway.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    JayBlisk wrote: »
    @EasyMac308 why wouldn't you just do the 70-417? I'm just curious because I see you are studying for the 640 now.

Honestly, hadn't really considered it. Personally, I want to get 2008 done since that's our work environment and I'm already irritated that I skipped out on the 2003 track. Plus, I'll get a bonus from work for getting the 2008 MCSA, but they're not giving bonuses for the 2012 track yet.
  • Options
    I totally understand. Really no one is using the 2012 Server yet. But for me one cert to do = less money out of pocket. Thanks for responding and good luck! icon_study.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Yeah, as long as I don't fail I get reimbursed for the exam, too, so the out of pocket isn't bad. :)
  • Options
    CaptainSchwagCaptainSchwag Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Probably not the right place for this post, but thought I would throw it out there. I am unclear on the MCITP / MCSA cert that is earned through 70-680 and 70-686. I am taking the 686 this Friday and I have already passed the 680.

I am curious to know what I will walk away with if I pass?

Will I get just MCSA or both, MCITP and MCSA?
  • Options
    @CaptainSchwag Both. Good luck bro!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]