Options

Which Certifications to Round Out My Portfolio for IT Jobs?

ByHand85ByHand85 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello! :)

This is a bit long, so please bare with! I am an older (27) systems administrator in the Mid-Atlantic. I am looking to move to a new job, but I am not sure which certifications I should try to acquire over the next few months.

I attended a large state university part-time so that I could pay cash for my classes. I earned a bachelors degree with a high GPA, but my commutte was 2.0 hours each way, which meant that I had little time for certifications while attending school.

In total, I have about eight years of sytems administration experience with the same company. I am responsible for everything tech, including:

Less than 20 total users with 10 high value users
Buying / Replacing / Specifying all hardware needs
Windows Server 2008 R2 (2x) (1 site, 1 domain, no AD RMS/AD CS/AD FS)
Windows Server 2003 SP2 (1x)
SQL Server 2008 R2
SAP BusinessObjects
CSC Claims Management
Microsoft Dynamics GP
Network -> wall jack to switch, Cisco ASA 5505, Cisco Small Biz switch, dedicated Internet
iPhone and Blackberry
All desktop/laptop machines
All printers and copiers
HIPAA / Security compliance

I handle all of the typical systems administrator on call tasks (fix issue on website, copier ate a ribbon cable, RAID battery failures, UPS failure, build complex Excel, etc). I've done many things from setting up a brand new domain to large data cleanups through SQL Server to replacing a broken laptop LCD.

Currently, I am completing a few pre-requisite courses so that I can enroll part-time in an MS in Computer Science program. I am proficient at writing Java beyond entry level (capable of writing linked lists, stacks and queues, GUI). Using Java, I have written multiple text parsers and one warmup script for work. Of all IT tasks, writing code is my favorite! I use Ubuntu at home out of preference.

For my next job, I was thinking a higher level systems administrator role or maybe some type of systems admin/DBA combo role. I would primarily be looking around the Northern Virginia area (family there).

Which certifications should I focus on over the next four to six months that would round out my portfolio? I was thinking Security+ and Network+?

Thank you!

Comments