Options

Last 5 of your SSN when applying

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just got a call from a recruiter in CA and he states that there is an opportunity in PA for Verizon. I read the description and all and he mentioned that if I want to apply I need to email my most up to date resume and last 5 numbers of my SSN. I've never heard of an employer needing the last 5 numbers, or any numbers for that matter (unless it's a government job) of my SSN.

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would be careful with that. With enough personal information they would be able to guess your whole social security number.

Social Security History
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've been through this many times with recruiters and was told it's how the company track applicants. One recruiter actually told me just to give him my social with a number or two changed. If I get hired just say it was a typo.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow !! With all the scams going on, I would have to pass on this. I can pretend to be a recruiter icon_smile.gif
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been through this many times with recruiters and was told it's how the company track applicants. One recruiter actually told me just to give him my social with a number or two changed. If I get hired just say it was a typo.

like the idea, but what if you guess someone true SSN by accident.. icon_smile.gif
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've heard of the last 4 being asked, but the last 5? That's just silly, it's not even a natural grouping. Makes my OCD very angry.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    A quick look at his email and the domain it is on, maybe a whois search, would tell me pretty quickly if I was comfortable enough to give him that.

Is it unusual? Yes, but it doesn't SCREAM identity theft. I think in these situations you just have to do your due diligence and then go with your gut. On one hand identity theft is a real thing to think about but on the other a lot of companies ask for a lot of weird things and you don't want hesitation and reluctance to cost you a job.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    Ill tell him that im not comfortable with giving any portion of my ssn via email or phone. If they want me they will pursue. They can use my last 5 of my phone number
  • Options
    boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    I have never been asked for my SSN... i find it really weird..
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I would offer a drivers license number instead. It belongs only to you and can be tracked. But I wouldn't give an ssn over email, most certainly if I didn't know who was on the other side.
  • Options
    I'm emailing him and telling him I will not hand any of this sensitive data over until I set foot into an interview and I am hired. He seems to suck at grammar in his emails and he was a big pushover. It first started at $22 an hour and I told him I needed at least 30 since there are no benefits and it's a contract to hire. He didn't hesitate to give me that rate.
  • Options
    Screw it. I don't trust him. He was all GANG HO in the beginning and now that I asked him why he needs this information he's not replying.
  • Options
    He told me to give him 5 fake numbers and my DOB and that they use it to make a unique applicant ID. He just told me to remember it
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The more I think about it, the worse I think it is. The first three digits are known point of origin, like the state or official that issued the number, and the rest are sequential. If they know where you were born (a little monitoring on facebook could get this in minutes) and they get your last 5, all they need is one more to complete the set. That's a guaranteed 1 in 10. If they've got your name and birth date (thanks again social networking!) they've got everything they need to get a credit card. No good.
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your SSN is probably already out there already, along with dob, etc. Giving out your SSN isn't the problem - it's that the system for opening accounts based on such publicly available info is really, really bad.
  • Options
    Good thing I wasn't born in the USA
    Qord wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the worse I think it is. The first three digits are known point of origin, like the state or official that issued the number, and the rest are sequential. If they know where you were born (a little monitoring on facebook could get this in minutes) and they get your last 5, all they need is one more to complete the set. That's a guaranteed 1 in 10. If they've got your name and birth date (thanks again social networking!) they've got everything they need to get a credit card. No good.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This can be legit, but there are few situations in which I wouldn't refuse. An Indian recruiter asked me for this for a position at Target I applied for. Once he asked, I Googled around and figured out the position was not at the HQ and was a bit too far, so I simply stopped responding to him. Never gave him the digits. I was shocked when I still got asked for an interview a few weeks later.

What I took from that is I won't provide it any of SSN unless I've been hired or it's my dream job and I know the recruiter/HR is legit. I'm just never gonna be that desperate to start giving out SSN digits to shady recruiters.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I see where you are coming from. This job is offering me a $30k raise.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, I do like the idea of giving him fake numbers, or mixing up a digit or two. I literally cannot fathom a consequence from doing it in this scenario.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Even the last 4 or 5 digits can be used to do a lot of harm. Like, when I call my bank or whatever, what questions do they ask? My name, my birthday (easily found on the Internet if necessary) and... last 4 digits. There may be variations, but you get the idea.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    This can be legit, but there are few situations in which I wouldn't refuse. What I took from that is I won't provide it any of SSN unless I've been hired or it's my dream job and I know the recruiter/HR is legit. I'm just never gonna be that desperate to start giving out SSN digits to shady recruiters.

Same here. While it's not top secret--neither is my mother's maiden name or my elementary school--I would as a rule not share my SSN or other sensitive information with a random stranger or recruiter.