Need advice for CCNA studying

CarnbyCarnby Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am planning on taking the CCNA exam on August 2nd. I am on day 8 of the self study method, and I would really appreciate your input.

I have already taken two classes on the CCNA curriculum classes at my local community college. (Routing and Switching). And I did very well in them. But that was last year, and while I remember a lot of the concepts, the details are gone. I picked up a book called CCNA in 60 days. This is not an stealth advertisement for Browning's book. Each day I have followed what he says. This includes reading the chapter, re-reading the previous chapter, I make flashcards as I read, and practice subnetting. I do this each day for two hours. On my breaks at work, or during downtime, I flip through my flash cards, or take practice CCNA questions on my phone.

I have not had a chance to do actual practice tests that recreate the real CCNA exam. I'm not even sure what the best method for practice exams is. I also ordered Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Offical Cert Guide Library, which isn't released until June 2nd. I bought it mainly for the supplemental materiel. Test questions, flash cards, ect.

Anyways, I would really appreciate your advice and opinion on my study method. I worry that it isn't enough. I also worry on how I can possibly memorize and understand this much information. But regardless I am determined to get my CCNA. Even if it takes a dozen tries.

Comments

• filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I learn A LOT through audio/visual multimedia study rather than through reading. I learn concepts through video/audio first, then I go back and read the books. Here is another method of studying for the CCNA:

CCIE Training - CCIE Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Data Center has a free video bootcamp for the CCNA and CCNA Wireless. All you need to do is go to their website and create and account and they are available to you for free. https://members.ine.com/dash/member/register

I actually bought the videos so that they were not just streaming on the site (which is free), but so I could put the video files on my smart phone and burn them to DVDs to watch on a big screen in the living room (less distractions without having the internet/keyboard near by).

Here is how I make it work for myself, this is how I am preparing for my CCNP:

I put the videos on my smart phone, a series of videos, the OSPF videos. For CCNP, that is about 7 videos, 6 and a half hours. I wake up every morning at 4am, go out walking by 4:50am and walk for about an hour an a half to two hours listening to videos. I will do this for two weeks with each subject in the CCNP video series (EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, Route Redistribution). In that two week period I hear the video around 4 or 5 times. Sometimes on the weekend I will take a 3 hour walk listening to videos. Just listening to the videos is helpful as it helps you visualize network diagrams in your head, which can be helpful for high level interviews, etc. I take the phone out of my pocket and look at the screen sometimes while I am walking to see the diagram he is talking about so I can visualize the traffic flow.

This will be much easier with CCNA videos as you just have to listen to facts.

I also will watch the videos on my TV in the living room to get me away from the distractions of my computer and easy internet access, it is much more engaging FOR ME.

I have the CCNP foundations guide and the lab guide, after I spend two weeks listening to videos and memorizing 95% of the concepts very well, I start to read to fill in any gaps I may have. Once I have listened to the video bootcamp on that subject many times, read the book, then I lab. While I am doing this, I am still listening to videos every day, 7 days a week, even if I have moved onto another subject.

With this method I get lots of exercise, multitask, learn so much, and still have time for my family outside of studying as I am combining multiple activities in my day.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    which exams are you taking? the old ones or the new ones?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • CarnbyCarnby Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    filkenjitsu, thanks for that advice. I will watch more videos. And repeatedly. That's a great idea.

Cisco Inferno, I am aiming to pass the test before Sept 30. I am under the impression that a bunch of new material will be added after that date. Is that correct?
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found the Official Cert Guide 3rd edition by odom to be helpfull and watching INE free CCNA Videos. CBT NUggets is helpfull too. You just got to pay for it.

Make sure you know subnetting well.. Download Packet tracer to practice Command line and your good to go.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • djstevenkingdjstevenking Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    When I first got my CCNA I didn't work with Cisco equipment every day and a lot of the information got tail dropped pretty quickly; when I started doing my CCNP a few years later I had to relearn a lot of it again so I know how you feel.

Start writing your own flashcards with a program like Anki and hit the repetitions for 10-15 minutes a day. This worked with my CCIE Written prep really well and helped me retain a lot of the Cisco Trivial Pursuit knowledge :)
    Thanks lrb, I'll try Anki. I'm downloading it now...
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    which exams are you taking? the old ones or the new ones?

Good question, he said he wants to take the old exam, but the books he ordered are for the new exams...

I am using Boson as a practice exam.
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Good question, he said he wants to take the old exam, but the books he ordered are for the new exams...

I am using Boson as a practice exam.

Thanks for pointing that out Seph. I cancelled my order, and placed an order for Cisco CCNA Cert 3rd edition.

I also coincidentally ordered the ccna 640-802 exam simulator from Boson. It included 5 exams. I read the description, and what hooked me was that it recreated a CCNA test environment. I have yet to fire it up.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□