Xp Workgroup Question

mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
Have 3 xp computers setup in a simple workgroup network. I have a printer near computer 1. When i print from the other computers not in the same room the printer does not work unless i login to computer 1 over the network with my computer 1 name & password. I just want to print from computer 2 and 3 without loging in over the network to comuter 1. For example when i print a document in word directed to that printer...it saids printer is not accessable, but after i login to computer 1 and then i go back and hit print it works fine.

Comments

• johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Login locally or authenticate over the network?
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hello,
    workgroup networking requires you to have the same account for you to connect on every machine - the same users, groups etc. that also included the printing permission where you can derive who can print on your print server.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not totally correct rossonieri#1 - a lot of it depends on how things are set up.

Example -

machine #1
    XP pro machine on WORKGROUP - shared HP Laserjet and shared Canon Inkjet ... shared as LaserJet & InkJet.

machine #2
    XPro machine on WORKGROUP - intsalled network printersfrom machine #1 - was asked for permission to use resources ... keyed in username and password for machine #1 and that is stored in the system.

machine #3
    XP Pro machine on WORKGROUP - installed network printers from machine #1 and was not asked for permissions.

The reason? It has to do with settings on the local machine you are on as well as the remote machine with the shared printers. Once File and Printer Sharing is enabled it is all go and when the printers are shared it is important not to do anything that will restrict users.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    you can buy print servers very cheap now that plug into Ethernet. My SMC and Siemens cable/DSL routers came with a parallel port for a printer but router downward costs have made them unbundle the feature.

A wired or wireless print server from many makers is in the range of 50 to 100 dollars. Here in the U.S. west cost they can often be found for 30 dollars at places like Fry's.

Otherwise shared resources require that the system doing the sharing be active if it is a desktop system simply because you are going through that system print queue and spooler logic. All of that is unique to the logged on user. If I am not mistaken some of what RussS mentions may require Netbui and permissions. I seem to remember that if my 98 machine rebooted you could still print even if I did not log back on to it. but my three printers at home are on print servers and at work they are all direct on the net.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RussS wrote:
    Not totally correct rossonieri#1 - a lot of it depends on how things are set up.

The reason? It has to do with settings on the local machine you are on as well as the remote machine with the shared printers. Once File and Printer Sharing is enabled it is all go and when the printers are shared it is important not to do anything that will restrict users.

OK, from "DEFAULT" printer sharing perspective - you are right, Russs. :)
    but i think - better to go deeper, even if workgroup networking sounds simple.. :)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.