Options

Confused about Switch, what do I need??

razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

So I'm just starting out studying for switch. First off going to be reading the "How to master Switch" book, a lab with 3 switches is used here. However I've read from a few other people that 4 switches is recommended.

I'm in a position at work at the moment where I work on 3750s and 6500s so i'm not unfamiliar with working with real hardware, just want to try and find out what i'll need for this exam.

If I purchase a couple of 2950s and 3550s would I also be able to make use of these for TSHOOT and possibly CCIE? Or will they have no use for that? I don't have that much space in my home but could just about get away with 4 switches but not much more than that.

Am I better of going the rack rental route via a site like INE?

Also if I do purchase some switches has anyone had much success with using them with GNS3 to combine routers? Or is that just too fiddly?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Couple of 3950 & 3550s would be more than enough for CCNP Switch & Tshoot.
    Although I won't comment about CCIE as I've no idea.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Am I better of going the rack rental route via a site like INE?
    This is a simple cost calculation that depends on the number of hours you need. Estimate your needs and then run the numbers. I paid $30 for 20 hours of access to (2) 2950s and (2) 3550s. This was faster, cheaper, and "less fiddly" than buying. It's worth noting I also had to spend a couple hours searching to find such favorable rack rental rates.
    razar wrote: »
    If I purchase a couple of 2950s and 3550s would I also be able to make use of these for TSHOOT and possibly CCIE?
    Could you? Of course. Are real switches necessary for TSHOOT? Nope! GNS3 is probably the fastest way to knock it out. For the CCIE, you could definitely re-use those switches, but consider aiming for the more feature-rich 3560s instead.
    has anyone had much success with using them with GNS3 to combine routers?
    Many people have, and have done so for their CCIE attempts. It does take some work, so I'd wait until you're gunning for the CCIE. Basically, you'll need quite a few PC-to-switch links or a breakout switch. An extra investment.
  • Options
    razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, think i'll look into rack renting then. Seems like it might be the option most suitable to me.

We have some old switches at work knocking around so might ask if i can borrow some of those if I can't find a decent rack rental solution.
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Could you? Of course. Are real switches necessary for TSHOOT? Nope! GNS3 is probably the fastest way to knock it out.

Will RSTP work in GNS3? I don't think so. OR am I wrong?
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry, I no longer recall the list of switch features supported vs. not supported in GNS3. I do recall it was insufficient to pass the SWITCH exam but plenty to mimic the TSHOOT topology and learn its ins and outs in record time. I had to make exactly one hack, and it was related to port aggregation groups.