Question On DHCP and NAT

hitmenhitmen Banned Posts: 133
Q1 Is it possible to use DHCP to assign addresses that are not private (in other words NOT 192.168.X.X NOT 10.0.0.0)

Q2 If I use private ip addresses on the LAN network, how is someone external going to ping to the host? They cant ping 192.168.X.X

Q3 Can the WAN ip address be used as the translation address for ip nat outside. For example 49.128.52.76-79.
Can 49.128.52.76 be used as ip nat outside address if IT IS ALSO assigned to the wan ip address? I thought an ip address can only have 1 usage?

Thanks!

Comments

• theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Q1 Yes

Q2 A public address would have to be translated [using NAT] to the private address that you want to ping.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • ralbertos21ralbertos21 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hitmen wrote: »
    Q1 Is it possible to use DHCP to assign addresses that are not private (in other words NOT 192.168.X.X NOT 10.0.0.0)

Q2 If I use private ip addresses on the LAN network, how is someone external going to ping to the host? They cant ping 192.168.X.X

Q3 Can the WAN ip address be used as the translation address for ip nat outside. For example 49.128.52.76-79.
    Can 49.128.52.76 be used as ip nat outside address if IT IS ALSO assigned to the wan ip address? I thought an ip address can only have 1 usage?

Thanks!

Great questions...
    To answer number #2. The Hosts computer you are trying to ping to will show the public address assigned to us people OUTSIDE of the local network on the internet. If you are using a corporate computer, you will have lets say 10.10.1.1. My outside IP address to the public when CONNECTING TO INTERNET will be 216.2.1.2 per say.
    I believe you would be able to ping 216.2.1.2 IP address when ONLINE AND the 10.10.1.1 as well. If it shows Request Timed Out. Then you have an IP addressing issue and maybe they are not on the same network via subnet mask. You'll only be able to ping people on the same network.

THE GATEWAY ADDRESS MUST BE ON THE SAME NETWORK AS THE LOCAL HOST!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helped somewhat :3 if I said something incorrectly please correct me!!!
  • TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Q1 Is it possible to use DHCP to assign addresses that are not private (in other words NOT 192.168.X.X NOT 10.0.0.0) - YES you can.

Q2 If I use private ip addresses on the LAN network, how is someone external going to ping to the host? They cant ping 192.168.X.X - Will need NAT

Yes you can do a PAT behind the .76 address