Options

70-640 addtional books ?

gbeer7gbeer7 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have the CBT nuggets and now the R2 70-640 Microsoft book. But to help the understanding process is there a good book worth reading / topping up knowledge on ? Maybe written for someone who not used these things much but looking to move in that area as a future career move.

Comments

• Options
    Luis103Luis103 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been studying for the 70-640 also, as a supplement I've been reading Mastering Windows Server R2 by Mark Minasi. It's been pretty good so far.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Server 2008 r2 unleashed comes highly recommended on this board.
  • Options
    Thanks, just purchased a copy of Server 2008 r2 unleashed. Hoping another format will help it sink in my head !
  • Options
    But that doesn't contain the R2 update, does it ?
  • Options
    SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gbeer7 wrote: »
    But that doesn't contain the R2 update, does it ?
    It does include the R2 update - if you use the "look inside" feature on that Amazon link you can search for "R2" and see that it is mentioned specifically in the book.
  • Options
    What are the "Cram" books like ?
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi gbeer7, how did you get on with the Server 2008 unleashed book? I am stuggling with the MS official guides for the server 2008 just as I find them to be really badly written/dull, is the unleashed book worth purchasing as an extra resource?
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also are the cram books any good?
  • Options
    djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm about a 1/3 of the way through the Poulton Cert Guide. The only thing I think is lacking is maybe the lack of labbing he has in the book. It's great in that it's straight forward, and he does have some step-by-step examples in each chapter, but I obviously need to dig around on Tech Net and follow those labs to get a better grasp on what I'm reading. I feel like when I finish a chapter from the Poulton book (which are really short) that I've somehow missed something. Also, my head might be up my ass in this line of thinking, but wouldn't it be better to set up DNS after you install AD DS? Poulton has you install the DNS role before AD DS and then goes on to tell you that the zones that he just had you configure are automatically set up when you install AD DS.

I took a few server classes 2 years ago when I was getting my associates degree, and we used the greenish-blue MS books that came with lab manuals as well. The books were extremely dry, but the labbing wasn't bad at all. Poulton's book comes highly recommended on these forums, but I'm highly aware that I need to supplement that book with labbing and videos (I have the CBT Nugget ones). Besides Technet, is there a pdf/book or website that has labs for this exam?
    AAS - Networking and Cyber Security
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]