Options

Cutting my losses with MCITP 2008, moving on to Server 2012 R2

kingrobkingrob Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, I have reached the point where studying and writing the 70-640 exam, Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, has left me financially and mentally drained.

I've attempted the exam five times and failed five times. Really thought I would pass it on my second attempt, but got an even lower score than my first attempt.

Passed the selective exam, 70-620, Configuring Windows Vista Client, three years ago, before I was forced to stop training, because of a new job, which kept me busy 24/7. When I started training for 2008 again, the exams have changed and I needed to get the new 2008 R2 training material. I choosed to soldier on with the original 2008 books, which in hindsight, was a big mistake.

Still wondering if Microsoft did not fail me because I studied the Vista Client and not Windows 7 Client, but that would be bad sportmanship from my side. icon_redface.gif

My financial resources have now dried up, as well as my willpower & time to complete the MCITP 2008 certification.

I've decided to give it a rest for a while, and wait for the Windows Server 2012 R2 training material to become available, before getting qualified as a 2012 R2 engineer. Yes, I'm not kidding, Server 2012 already has a R2 version.

The irony is that I have been appointed now as a senior Windows Server 2008 network administrator, so will still be working with Windows Server 2008 R2 for the foreseeable future. :)

I wish you all the best of luck and success with your further studies, I will most probably surface again in the Server 2012 R2 threads.

Have fun!!

Comments

• Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Good call man. It's not just you, lots of people are failing these exams. They've changed a lot in the past three years.

I would give it a rest, focus on your career and then maybe by fall revisit your certification path and see what works best for you. If you will be working in server 2008, it may still be worth going that direction. I don't think the 2012 exams are going to be any easier. I believe the issue is the structure of these new exams and how specific they are and how they are worded. Hopefully with 2012 they will start using more lab type exams.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't beat up on yourself too much. They are all very hard exams. Shift your focus and read some other material on exchange or SharePoint or even Linux. It can't hurt.
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Taking the same path. Got tired of the MS crap on tests. Looking at other certs. Good luck to everybody in whatever you decide is in your best interests...
  • Options
    GDL-LCGDL-LC Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I hear ya, Work has put me on the official course for the 70-640 and was shocked to find half of the exam material isn't covered, and what is covered is only a small surface look. I'm not going to try the exam, I'll wait for the 2012 same as you.
  • Options
    texan1962texan1962 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you already have a good job I would'nt sweat it unless your boss tells you you need it for some reason.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So it has to be asked... If you failed the 2008 test 5 times, why do you think you'll have better results with the 2012 test?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Sadly agree with zartanasaurus, i don't believe their testing process is changing at all with 2012. The fact that you will be working with 2008 while working and that you've already studied for those exams... 2008 still might be the best choice.
  • Options
    ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    The irony is that I have been appointed now as a senior Windows Server 2008 network administrator, so will still be working with Windows Server 2008 R2 for the foreseeable future.

Haha that's awesome. Glad you were able to lock something down even though you weren't able to knock out the test :). Best of luck with your next learning path!
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.