A+,Security+ - Need Advice

dxdavedxdave Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Recently got a new job. I don't have any certs right now but new job requires I get at least an A+ or higher and MCTS 70-680 Windows 7 configuring. My question is should I just get the A+ that is required or save money and get something a little more attractive/useful like security+? If I take security+ or higher my work will re-imburse me. Out of my own pocket for A+ or network+. I figured at 1st I would just get A+ because its easier, do just what I need to keep my job and then work on the security+ at my own pace instead of feeling pressured to get it or lose my job.

Additional info....
- I have 3 months to get certs
- this is my 1st it job
- on a budget
- 1st post - I'm new here :)

Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

Comments

• mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First, what are your job responsibilities? If you're not fixing computers, then the A+ wouldn't be worth your time. What is your level if IT experience?
  • dxdavedxdave Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's a help desk job. Employees call in when they need help with various things. Anything on computer not working to not being able to print. Knowledge of Active Directory, Remote diagnostics and troubleshooting client workstations...
    went to school for computer science but didn't graduate. Never went back to school. Need around 30hrs. to complete. Last school semester was fall of '09. Previous job was in tech support for an ISP, very limited on what skills I got to use in the work place.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Typically it is beneficial to take the exams that highlight your experience(s). The second approach is to take exams that match the technology one works with or soon will work with.

If A+ is something that will be a benefit for you, then it make sense to go for it (remember this cert is two exams, not just one for a certificate). Net+ may make sense for a quick and get it done cert rather than a+.

If your job is on the line, then if it were me, I would make it a priority to accomplish this completing whatever I needed to stay employed.

The MS certs will be straight forward and fairly easy to get, not all, but some.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Typically it is beneficial to take the exams that highlight your experience(s). The second approach is to take exams that match the technology one works with or soon will work with.

If A+ is something that will be a benefit for you, then it make sense to go for it (remember this cert is two exams, not just one for a certificate). Net+ may make sense for a quick and get it done cert rather than a+.

If your job is on the line, then if it were me, I would make it a priority to accomplish this completing whatever I needed to stay employed.

The MS certs will be straight forward and fairly easy to get, not all, but some.

Thanks for the info./advice. The more I think about it the more I think I should do what you were saying, "make it a priority to accomplish this completing whatever I needed to stay employed." After I complete what is needed for work, I can feel more comfortable studying and taking another certification at my own pace.

Lots of great info. on this site...glad I found it. :D
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums dxdave. You've gotten a lot of good advice here, all good.

With three months to get the certs you can pass one A+ exam in 30 days, the second A+ exam in 30 days, and the Windows exam in 30 days. That's doable, and if that's what they want, it might be a good plan.

Considering your college background, you might be able to take another route. Take the Security+ within 45 days and the Windows exam in 45 days. That is also doable. You won't have to foot the bill for the two A+ exams, you'll have fewer exams to take, and more time to take the exams.

Good luck.
    Darril wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums dxdave. You've gotten a lot of good advice here, all good.

With three months to get the certs you can pass one A+ exam in 30 days, the second A+ exam in 30 days, and the Windows exam in 30 days. That's doable, and if that's what they want, it might be a good plan.

Considering your college background, you might be able to take another route. Take the Security+ within 45 days and the Windows exam in 45 days. That is also doable. You won't have to foot the bill for the two A+ exams, you'll have fewer exams to take, and more time to take the exams.

Good luck.

Thanks for the quick reply too. I was hoping to decide on what to do by the end of this week. That way I can set a goal, plan, and get started. Those are 2 good plans you gave. Thanks for the info.