Options

70-640 Is Killing Me

wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
2 failed exams and numerous hours of studies ! not sure if its worth cutting my losses and starting the 2012 track

Comments

• Options
    Deadpool85Deadpool85 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    maybe you should go back to making music? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm studying to take this test currently. What areas are you struggling with? I see lots of people on these forums are reporting difficulty with this test, sounds pretty tough...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know the feeling your in. It sucks, but what are your study materials? Are you labbing? how much?
    Like above what were your weakest areas? and what were your strongest areas?
  • Options
    Deadpool85 wrote: »
    maybe you should go back to making music? icon_wink.gif

Lol yeah music is an option!

Struggling with the CA stuff really as i dont touch it much at my place of work and as for labs im pretty much using work as my own lab as I tinker with the live and test systems we have. The press book is mind numbing to be fair and I just drift away from it and skim read.
  • Options
    Peterm44Peterm44 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What score did you get on those exam attempts? Doing labs on certificates helps also.
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Use the Press books to get a little more indepth. Lab, Lab, Lab, etc. I failed it twice and I moved to VCP as it was next on my list. I came close to passing my second go, but unfortunately, I went backwards in one or two areas and Certificates were always the hardest. A good resource is 2008 Unleashed. If you can, Watch the CBT nugget or Trainsignal videos and look up things on youtube.

Also, if there are questions about certificates that you remember from the exam - look them up in technet and get a better understanding of them. I struggle taking exams, It didn't matter how much study I put in, it came down to processing and finding that answer in my head. If you can Lab it and remember how you did it, you will know it for the exam.

Good Luck for your Next attempt.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wayne I totally understand where you are coming from, like you, and numerous others I have failed this one twice now and losing the plot with it. I spent months studying the MS press books, making notes, revising them, labbing up etc only to crash and burn. I'm thinking of giving it a break for a bit or moving onto something else too as feel I've hit a massive wall with this one too!
  • Options
    ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    Wayne,

Don't give up! Read the MS Training Kits for 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646. All three books have enough information for you to learn what you need.

There are also books like:
    Pearson Cert Guide 70-640
    Pearson Cert Guide 70-642
    Mastering Windows Server 2008 R2
    SAMS Server 2008 R2 Unleashed.

Get those to supplement your reading. Some might say all of that is overkill lol, but it will greatly help you with your training now AND as ax excellent resource in the future.

Also, can't forget about this crucial part of training/studying...
    LAB! LAB! LAB!!! Having a test environment will reinforce the content you read. Lab once, nuke it. Lab again, nuke it. Lab again!

Good luck! icon_thumright.gif
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    Peterm44 wrote: »
    What score did you get on those exam attempts? Doing labs on certificates helps also.

Cant remember without the transcripts but last weeks was 564 or something like that
  • Options
    Totally know where your coming from I passed the VCP which i found harder than the 640 in some ways i think its just down to time as my other half is 4 weeks away from having our 1st child + i dont get time to study anywhere let alone work
  • Options
    You and me both mate! plus its sunny here in brum so the weathers making me wanna go out and drink lol
  • Options
    Will have a look at one or 2 of those later as i have a few amazon vouchers knocking around somewhere thanks for your help appreciated
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the baby imminent dude, I'm a fairly new dad myself and know how awesome but hard work it can be- looking after the other half and baby takes up alot of time around work and squeezing in revision and labbing on your own time becomes an art in itself. Good luck with it all :)
  • Options
    _calvin__calvin_ Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know the feeling. I failed for my second time today but I know now I have to go much more in depth. Increased my score over 100 points and I see now a couple of questions where I were hesistant could've easily passed the test. I'm on it and I refuse to use the vces like most people are telling me to do.
  • Options
    Peterm44Peterm44 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found on the two tests I took that there were a lot of questions on gpo's, DNS replication and certificates services where the answer was usually certificate templates for some reason. I think if you read the sections about those it will help improve your score. I hardly had anything on both attempts regarding FS