Hello All! New member

t5yll4t5yll4 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

New member here looking to get CCNA certified before the end of this summer.

Just graduated college in March, and started studying in April. I've opted for the ICND1 & ICND2 option and I've scheduled my ICND1 test for June 27th. I'm pretty excited!icon_cool.gif

Methods of studying:icon_study.gif
- Reading CCENT/CCNA ICND1 640-822 Official Cert Guide, 3rd Edition
- Watching Youtube vidoes; danscourses, CCIEonTraining, and anything networking
- Watching CBT Nugget videos
- Labbing up in Packet Tracer (downloaded labs from ****, Ranet, FreeCCNAlab, Jschreiner, PacketTracerNetwork, etc...)
- Reading Cisco Troubleshooting & Design Guides daily
- Working on at least one subnetting problem every day

Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.icon_thumright.gif
2015 Certification Goals:
[ ] JNCDA (August), [ ] JNCIA-Junos (September), [ ] CCDA (pending), [ ] CCNP RS (tentative November)

"Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less."
- Robert E. Lee

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums!! icon_thumright.gif

You have a solid amount of study resources/materials and a solid plan to obtain your CCNA. Stay focused and motivated keep it up.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • t5yll4t5yll4 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you & will do.
    [ ] JNCDA (August), [ ] JNCIA-Junos (September), [ ] CCDA (pending), [ ] CCNP RS (tentative November)

"Duty then is the sublimest word in the English language. You should do your duty in all things. You can never do more, you should never wish to do less."
    - Robert E. Lee
    Aside from the Cisco CCNA path what other certs do you plan on pursuing?
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    2013:
    CompTIA Net+ (most likely right after the CCNA [ICND2] which i will hit up in August.)
    Juniper JNCIA (up in the air..mainly because I've had no exposure to Juniper stuff as of yet, but I"m considering it)
    CCDA (by End of Year)

I did VoIP for a year and enjoyed it so the CCNA Voice is also fair game, just don't know if i can realistically fit it in this year.

I'm also interested in the Security side of things, mainly because of the industry I'm going into. But i won't start the security stuff until 2014. I'm trying to not overload myself.

- Robert E. Lee
    My plan is to finish my CCNA for this year but going forward certification wise I'm not sure what I will pursue next. I'm thinking about expanding my current skills and knowledge in server virtualization/linux where I have a great area of interest. I have also been brushing up my SAN knowledge base reading some books in between my Cisco studies.

Definitely keep a steady pace but don't overload yourself otherwise you will get burnt out quickly. I usually take a few weeks off between certs to recharge and energize by gaming to relax.

Yea, the server virtu/nix side of things is also interesting. I"m a nix guy myself (openSuse) and won't mind some nix certs under the belt. Alot of cloud stuff going on these days so I'm looking to check that out too. A buddy of mine is always talking to me about OpenStack.

As far as a steady pace, you're absolutely right...yea i try to fit gaming in between studying & work & family just so my brain doesn't explode..Looking to reward myself w/ The Last of Us ONLY after I get the CCNA, so i guess that's another reason to make sure I pass..lolicon_twisted.gif

- Robert E. Lee
  • shezy77shezy77 Member Posts: 160
    Welcome to the forum... your first step to any certification starts here :)
    2013: ICND1 [Passed] ... ICND2 [Passed] ... VCA-DCV [Passed] ... 70-410 [Passed] ... 70-411 [Passed] ... VCA-Cloud [Passed] ... VCA-WM [Passed] ... 70-412 [Passed]

2014: 74-409 [Passed] ... VCP5 [Passed]
    Current working on: VCAP5-DCA
    Thanks! I've found this site to be very helpful.

- Robert E. Lee
    I know when I pass my CCNA it's game time!! :)

• SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely keep a steady pace but don't overload yourself otherwise you will get burnt out quickly. I usually take a few weeks off between certs to recharge and energize by gaming to relax.

+1 to this comment! My WoW guild thinks I quit because I have been busy studying so hard. It's definitely a good idea to take a break in between certs though you don't want too much time to elapse between ICND1 and 2.

Another suggestion for a more structured approach is Paul Browning's CCNA in 60 days book. It's like 10 bucks on kindle and while the actual information in it is worth about that 10 bucks, the great thing is the lesson structure maps well to the Odom book and Farai has interesting tips throughout the text. I did each lesson and the exercises and read the corresponding chapters in the Odom book which goes into greater detail. It's been fun.
    I know when I pass my CCNA it's game time!! :)

AMEN to that brother!

- Robert E. Lee
    Souljacker wrote: »
    +1 to this comment! My WoW guild thinks I quit because I have been busy studying so hard. It's definitely a good idea to take a break in between certs though you don't want too much time to elapse between ICND1 and 2.

Another suggestion for a more structured approach is Paul Browning's CCNA in 60 days book. It's like 10 bucks on kindle and while the actual information in it is worth about that 10 bucks, the great thing is the lesson structure maps well to the Odom book and Farai has interesting tips throughout the text. I did each lesson and the exercises and read the corresponding chapters in the Odom book which goes into greater detail. It's been fun.

Definitely not gonna allow a huge gap between 1 & 2, as a matter of fact, I've moved on to icnd2 material already even though i'm only taking the icnd1 in 2 weeks. Looking to beat that September cut-off.

I'll take a look at the Paul B book, although I feel I have a plethora of good material. All I'm looking for these days are labs to do as I feel I have a good grasp on theory.

- Robert E. Lee