RJ45 to RJ45 Console Cables?

djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
I have a AS2511 and would love to purchase varying lengths of RJ45 to RJ45 rollover cables. I tried making them myself to no avail. I simply do not have the hands for that. I've Googled to my heart's content and can't find a reseller. Any suggestions?
WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed

Comments

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My honest opinion- sell the 2511 (and get back most of your money), and get a Digi CM 32. Bought mine for $50 on ebay, configured it via web-based interface in about 2 minutes (mostly just things like disabling authentication on the lines and such), and it uses standard RJ45 terminated cables that you can either buy or make. Does everything you'd ever want it to do- I now use mine to access my gear remotely when I'm on the road.

I did own a 2511 and had many issues with bad Octal cables, bad ports on the device, etc..great devices but they're getting old. I understand you may want to work with what you have, but just my humble observation! :)
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What lengths do you need?

I google rollover cable and I see cables and kits on there. I search cables and kits and I see 3ft, 5ft, 7ft, 10ft 3m, 5m, 7m CablesAndKits.com
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    My honest opinion- sell the 2511 (and get back most of your money), and get a Digi CM 32. Bought mine for $50 on ebay, configured it via web-based interface in about 2 minutes (mostly just things like disabling authentication on the lines and such), and it uses standard RJ45 terminated cables that you can either buy or make. Does everything you'd ever want it to do- I now use mine to access my gear remotely when I'm on the road.

I did own a 2511 and had many issues with bad Octal cables, bad ports on the device, etc..great devices but they're getting old. I understand you may want to work with what you have, but just my humble observation! :)
    That's pretty neat. How's the noise and power consumption? I might just pick one up and sell my MRV.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They're super quiet. As far as power, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head- to be honest I have so much gear in my office that I'm thinking about upgrading to a larger circuit/installing a new one to stop tripping circuit breakers during high loads..so in the grand scheme of things, it's great!

I'm a huge Cisco fan (surprise) but this thing is way better than my old 2511. Plus the only reason 2511's are worth money is because of people like us :) ! Just my $.02 though, of course.
  • djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Thanks for the responses. I already have the gear and don't want to bother my manager to order another device right now. He's already ordered a couple 1841s for me and allowed me to use the other gear in the lab. Plus this keeps me configuring IOS. I had no idea that the 2511s were so old considering they still sell on eBay for $200.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I prefer using 2811s with NM-32A cards, but 2811s grow on trees where I work. :D
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA